Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Visiting Gran-San and the Dairy Queen

Continuing our Christmas traveling adventures...
We went to Chad's mom's house, which is also the house Chad grew up in, for some more time with Chad's mom and grandmother. Gran-San, aka my mother-in-law Sandy, picked up our 5-year-old nephew Skyler to come join the fun. As Abbey is generally not fond of boys, I wasn't sure what to expect, but she warmed up to him and soon they were riding their stick horses in circles together. He kept running in to announce, "Gran-San, Abbey's talking to me!"
Chad's hometown is one of those small Texas towns that doesn't have much, but doggone it, does have a Dairy Queen. Abbey had never been to the DQ, so off we went. Yummy! When it was time to leave, Abbey hung back like she wasn't ready to go. When I said come on, let's go, she said, "But Mommy, when are we gonna see the Fairy Queen?" Poor thing... even yummy ice cream isn't that exciting when you thought there was going to be a magic creature there!
After another day of playtime, it was time to head back to Nana's. We were so glad that Abbey and Skyler had so much fun together and that Gran-San and Bobbie got to catch up on seeing the girls.

Abbey enjoying her dipped cone. Does Elliott look a little jealous to you?

Bobbie figured out that singing "The Wheels on the Bus" was the key to keeping Elliott happy.

Chad, Elliott, Skyler, Abbey and Sandy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chad is the spitting image of his mother!!

Okay, all you entries and pictures are causing me to be jealous that you are in the States. It's causing me to really want to go back for a visit. Is the trip and jetlag worth it all?

Thou shall not covet, thou shall not covet.....

Bethany said...

Is the travel and jet lag worth it? Hmmm. With two kids, yes, with six kids I don't know! :0) Seriously, it is, but you have to stay at least a month to make it worth it. I thought being here for a month would be plenty of time and I would be ready to come back to Japan but I'm not quite! Maybe I'll read your blog and be reminded why I love Japan.