Saturday, January 5, 2008

Cough cough

I am going to take a break from posting about our Christmas travels, but don't worry, there's more to come!
Elliott got sick this week. First it was an occasional cough during the night, then it was congestion, then it was being sleepy all day (definitely not like her), staring off in space and running a fever! Obviously, she needed to go to the doctor. I knew from my last trip home, this was easier said than done, unless I wanted to take her to the emergency room (where I think she would probably just get sicker). I found an "acute care" walk in clinic that takes our military insurance and decided Chad and I would take her as soon as they opened this morning so we wouldn't have to wait too long.
Nice try.
We arrived six minutes after opening to find ourselves 8th- yes, eighth- in line. We did not leave the clinic until two hours and forty minutes later. Poor Elliott! Poor Bethany and Chad!
Now, I know people like to complain about military health care, but to them I say: shut your mouth! I have never ever waited that long at any base hospital (though in all fairness this place doesn't make appointments), and with all the confusing paper work I filled out today, I am so thankful I don't have to mess with all that health insurance stuff every time one of us goes to the doctor. You should have seen me filling her (FOUR) prescriptions at Walgreens- they must have thought I was an idiot. It had been so long since I had a paper prescription slip I didn't know what to do with it! I asked the guy, "Do I give this to you now?" He (nicely) replied, "Yes, ma'am, or we wouldn't know what medication to give you." Duh, Bethany! It's also nice that it's always FREE. It is truly a wonderful benefit and I am grateful to my husband for providing for our family in this way.
Well, back to pitiful Elliott. She actually is acting more like herself today- smiling more and back to preferring Mommy (instead of being so out of it she didn't notice who was holding her)- and I am hopeful her congestion will clear up before our very fast approaching trip home to Japan. Please pray for her continued improvement!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We'll be praying that you get better soon Elliot! Being sick is never fun---as a baby or an adult.
Just think, at Yokota we pay up front and file paperwork to get reimbursed. Peds. is $132.00 and just to walk in the ER is $300! I'll take my Stateside coverage any day where we had no co pay and were always in and out. (funny, eh?)