Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tumbling class

Abbey has been going to a weekly tumbling class for several months now. She has always really enjoyed it, but at first, she had a hard time participating- she was just too shy and nervous. At the beginning of each class, she would do all the "moves" (her name for the stretches) that we did each time. But then when it came time to try a new movement, one-on-one with the teacher, in front of the other kids, she would either cling to me or be stiff as a board for the teacher. This drove me crazy! Fortunately it did not bother Ms. Tracey, her wonderful teacher, and Abbey has grown much more comfortable with the whole experience. (I know, it's not fair to Abbey that it bothered me, because I sure wouldn't want to do a cartwheel in front of a bunch of other people, but for some reason I expected her to be able to with no problem!)
Unfortunately, our last tumbling class is coming up soon, so I tried to take a few pictures, but since she is always in motion, they were mostly blurry.

Ms. Tracey helps Abbey with a handstand.

Abbey loves her class (and teacher) so much that sometimes we have to have tumbling class at home. She is the teacher and leads me and some of her babies in stretches and then the obstacle course. Here she is walking around the "balance beam" quilt:

She even got me to do a somersault- sorry, no pictures of that one!

3 comments:

Flip-flop Mama said...

I kind of wish Abbey had snapped a pic of your somersault :) That's what Ainsley calls them too. . .her dance "moves!"

bcstark said...

I remember playing "balance beam" with all sorts of things when I was younger - I never got to go to a cool tumbling class like Abbey, though!

jordan said...

Sophia just got me to do a somersault the other day. She was the teacher and had me doing all kinds of things, but that was the first somersault I had done in well over 10 years! Oh boy did it make me dizzy...

I hope you did better than me.