For Christmas I received The Sneaky Chef cookbook, which I'm sure you have all heard of by now. I finally made a recipe from it the other night, the "Masterful Mac & Cheese." (The cutesy names get on my nerves- like "No Harm Chicken Parm" and "Incognito Burrito.") The verdict? I liked it okay, Chad liked it but requested I not tell him what I hid in it (cauliflower and zucchini), and Abbey did not try it because it does not look like Velveeta Shells'n'Cheese and therefore is not macaroni and cheese. I was not surprised by this- Abbey rarely tries new foods, or even different versions foods that she does like, and when she does it's usually at preschool. Hooray for peer pressure!
I didn't give any to Elliott because I was afraid the cauliflower would make her gassy, and goodness knows she doesn't need another reason to stay up all night. But I am happy to report, she is eating much better lately. She loves toast, cottage cheese, peas, avocado... and will try at least a bite of anything I let her put in her mouth by herself. Which is more than I can say for Abbey!
If any of you have one of these sneaky vegetable cookbooks, tell me what you think about them!
9 comments:
Wonderful that you are finding ways around my method...I just tell them to "sit down and eat it" LOL Of course, most of my kids are older than yours are, so they know that Wii lays in the balance. haha
I'm so mean sometimes... :)
I am obsessed with your blog. You are too funny and your kids are so stinking cute! I know I said this last time, but my mom is really going to enjoy reading all this. She is out of town right now. Did you know she retired? I haven't tried one of those cookbooks, but I have heard about them....interesting...It looks like normal shells and cheese to me!
Which book do you have? The controversial Seinfeld cookbook? :)
I enjoyed watching the segment on Oprah but I ditto what boufmom9 said about just making them eat it!
I'm mean like that too! :) Sometimes, if all the children (and at times including Brett) are all in despair over trying a "new" food, we play "Fear Factor" Partin style. It's amazing what they try----better and more fun than trying to "sneak" it in the foods. You should try it when yours get a little older.
Well, I think that looks right tasty! I know Abbey's reluctance to eat anything new wears on you, but I must commend her steadfast loyalty to shells and cheese. Because YUM. I myself, however, am perfectly willing to try any and all varieties of mac'n'cheese. You'll have to send me the recipe. Or I guess I could go buy the book.
Ainsley doesn't like to try new foods, but Porter and Trey will try anything :)
what a beautiful baby! so great to hear from you-how cool and stressful to live in japan! i don't really sneak food for carson-he will sniff it out, and he gets offended like i tricked him, kindle i still can though! love the pics!
Thanks for the info you left on my blog. Very handy. :)
I may seriously need to buy one of these books for my 13 yr old daughter who just says "I don't care" when i tell her she can't be on the phone at all if she doesn't at least attempt to eat something healthy. UGH!
Holy broccoli, Batman! So many comments about vegetables! I should set the record straight: I did not get this cookbook to sneak in veggies because Abbey doesn't eat them- she does eat many veggies including broccoli and green beans and zucchini! But I don't think it can hurt to make things that you will eat anyway a little more healthy. I have high hopes that one day the "just eat it" method will work at our dinner table...
Hmm, I may have to try this book to sneak in some vegetables for myself. :)
Post a Comment