Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tokyo Disney Adventure

Like I said before, we went to Tokyo Disney on Monday. I thought it was perfect timing- a weekday, not a Japanese holiday, beautiful weather, shouldn't be crowded, right? WRONG. Though it wasn't a holiday, it was Halloween week and that resulted in thousands of people skipping school and work to be there! The first few hours we were there were truly awful, and I felt awful for getting Abbey excited about it and then making her wait and wait and wait- in the ticket line, in the lines for rides, and while her totally overwhelmed parents tried to figure out what to do. When we stopped and ate lunch, a parade went by, and things started looking up after that. I really was proud of Abbey. She was not scared to ride any of the rides we took her on, and she waved so sweetly at the parade characters until she couldn't hold up her arm anymore. She did not beg for any souvenirs or even sweets. (Though there was a small meltdown in the subway on the way home involving juice.)

Overall, Abbey will remember that she had a good time, and that is what matters. I learned some very important lessons about going on big outings like that (especially in Japan) and no one got hurt, lost, or even sunburned! So I will not gripe about it anymore (unless you e-mail me and want to hear all about how someone knocked over their drink where I was sitting and I had a wet rear end for the rest of the day).

Ready for a day of fun! Also Elliott's first subway/train ride.

While waiting to get in, Abbey tests out every position imaginable in our new stroller.



Happy Halloween! It's amazing what they can make into a Mickey Mouse shape.


The castle was pretty but we were disappointed there was nothing inside but a gift shop.


Abbey and Chad are ready for a wild time on the carousel.

Lunch for Abbey was a white bread and strawberry jam sandwich and chips. No wonder she's happy!
Wendy and Peter Pan (who I think were Australian) stopped by to meet the girls on their way to Never-never Land. Or maybe the bathroom.

This was actually one of the less crowded spots in the park.


Elliott makes a new friend. Yuta was born 4 days after her!


Abbey takes Chad on the ride of his life.

Good night, Tokyo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowie Zowie! I cannot believe you took the train to Disney!! You brave soul----WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? :) It's amazing how easy the children are to please. We have steadily watched Disney stay crowded year round over the last 11 years, even the weekday is no longer less crowded. Not really sure what happened---and no, inclement weather does not stop them either! :) I am glad that you all still had a good time. the advantage though is that the characters seem to give our "gaijin" children LOTS of extra attention for photo ops and conversation. Atleast, that's been the case with our older ones---I think they are just excited about being understood and able to speak English. :)

Bethany said...

We realized we were crazy for taking the train when we left the park, exhausted, and still had to get on the train and go back to the hotel! Fortunately it was just 40 minutes back to the new sanno and not almost 2 hours home. Our reasoning was: Abbey would have whined and Elliott would have screamed the whole time in the car, and they were both very happy on the train. And you are right, the girls got lots of attention from Japanese of all ages- characters and "new friends" alike. I am so much wiser now. :0)

Dara said...

I can barely handle the crowds at Six Flags, so I can't imagine. Abbey will only remember the fun though:)

Kristine said...

Sounds like it was an amazingly fun day at Disney. What a field trip!