Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Sweet potato... no really

Last night Abbey and I shared a sweet potato for dinner, and I thought those of you who have never seen a Japanese sweet potato would be interested to know that...



they are purple on the outside and yellow on the inside!

They taste similar to orange sweet potatoes though not as sweet. I also think they are drier, so we add lots of butter and Abbey gets to sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar to her heart's content. Unfortunately this one was a little older than I remembered so only the thickest part of the potato was edible... but usually we like them a lot. Satsuma-imo (the real name) are used for all sorts of thing in Japanese food- at festivals you can usually find big thick sweet potato "fries" sprinkled with sugar, there are little cakes made from them, and some ice cream stores have a purple ice cream with this flavor! And my personal favorite, covered in tempura batter and fried.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first glance, I thought it was a slug. :)

Kristine said...

That awful looking sweet potato brings back so many childhood memories. We had those in the Philippines and once you get past the odd color, it's so yummy! I think it's actually a little sweeter than a sweet potato. I'm so proud of Abbey for even trying it.

If you want to try another sweet way to serve it, add some coconut milk and sugar. Yum!