Monday, February 4, 2008

Super Bowl Monday

Life on a military base in Japan can sometimes feel like you are, well, not in Japan. We have many American restaurants, stateside phone numbers and the ugly tan buildings look just like the ugly tan buildings on Air Force bases all over the world. But you know you are still in Japan when you are watching the Super Bowl on Monday morning! Lucky Chad got to stay home from work to watch it. Good thing he watched all the way to the end, right? :0)

Chad, Chico and Big Baby say: Go Giants!

And what's a Super Bowl party without unhealthy food? I didn't think I could handle nachos or hot wings first thing in the morning, so I made one of Chad's favorite breakfast dishes, Panhandle Eggs. Chad's grandmother makes this for Christmas mornings- I have only made it one or two other times but it's pretty foolproof and turned out great! It's also easy to make a half recipe, which I did this time or we might be eating them until next Super Bowl. Here's the recipe.

Panhandle Eggs
From Bobbie Noble Thompson

1 pound bulk sausage (Jimmy Dean Hot)
2 small cans or 1 large can chopped green chilies
1 pound grated cheddar cheese
1-¼ pound grated Monterey jack cheese
9 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
2 T flour
Paprika for garnish

Preheat oven to 350.
Brown sausage, stirring it so it will crumble. Drain sausage.
Mix with chilies and both cheeses.
Spread in 13x9 pan. (May be done to this point the night before and refrigerated overnight.)
Beat eggs well.
Mix milk and flour, add to beaten eggs.
Pour over the sausage mixture.
Bake for 40-45 minutes. (If cold, will need to bake longer.)
Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish top with paprika. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, something's not right watching the Superbowl on Monday morning! :)

I'm not a big football fan but I was glad to see the NY Giants win!

bcstark said...

Yay, a new recipe to try! Eventually, anyway... I've made the mistake of packing up some kitchen things that I wish I hadn't yet, lol.

Glad y'all got to watch the Super Bowl - who did you want to win?

Anonymous said...

Okay,
Forgive my 'dumb' question. :)

How'd you reply to my e-mail from my comment?

Sometimes, I want to reply and answer people's questions but I do not know how to do what you did. Any tips? (don't laugh!)

Anonymous said...

It didn't work! Thanks for the info though......

jennifer said...

That would be a little weird to watch it in the morning!!

Thanks SOOO much for the package. The kids and I had so much fun opening it and discovering treats from Japan. I especially love the dishes!! Kennan's favorites were the plates and anything with chocolate. Brayden loved to chew/suck on the wrapping on the Minnie Mouse thing. I posted a blog about it with some pictures!

Thanks again, we had a lot of fun!

Kristine said...

Those Panhandle Eggs sound yummy! I might have to try a half-recipe this weekend.