Saturday, December 8, 2007

Hiding

You have probably seen our crazy-print green kids couch in lots of our pictures. It was Abbey's Christmas gift two years ago and we still love it! For something made of foam it has stood up to a lot of abuse. But lately, Abbey has only wanted to hide inside of it and not sit on it. She stuffs as many toys in there as she can, lays down and pulls the fold-out part over her. Doesn't sound like that big of a deal, I know, but it turns into a way for her to hide (meaning not share) toys, especially when there are other kids here, and to hide from us when she doesn't want to do what we are telling her. Mean mommy that I am, I told her she has to stop doing this, but had to share a picture of it first.

Abbey gets more blocks to hide with her. The picture isn't that great but I took it quickly before she noticed, so as not to encourage the hiding!
Kids do the strangest things, don't they? (This coming from me, who did LOTS of strange things as a little kid. And as a big kid. Oh, fine, I'm still strange.) And something they do one time can turn into a habit so fast! I am trying to be better about letting Abbey do her odd things and putting boundaries on them, instead of just making her stop because it's annoying. For example, she also likes to "pack" things in her various little bags and backpacks. Even though it drives me bonkers to not have everything in its place, I let her pack her stuff, but drew the line at packing her clothes, things from my purse, and Elliott's toys, so that we can find those things when we need them. Who knows, maybe her newly developed packing skills will come in handy as we get ready for our trip...
If your kids have funny habits like this, please share!

No comments: