Saturday, November 3, 2007

Getting to know you

Lately, I have mostly been writing about places we go and things we do. But I also want this blog to keep our family and friends who are far away (that would be most of you) up on what the girls are really like. We hope to see many of you in Texas soon, and maybe it will help if you know a little more about the Newman girls. So here goes.

Elliott likes:
*Mommy (and often only Mommy) to hold her. ALL the time. But lately she has let a few lovely church ladies and friends hold her for a short while, so there's hope!
*Music! We sing and clap for her and she smiles and beats her hands on her tummy or chair.
*Most rattle-y or crinkly toys, and LOVES this one ugly little black and white beanie-baby sized cat of Abbey's.
*To let out unbelievably loud burps. :0)

Elliott does not like:
*Eating rice cereal. She frowns as soon as she sees the spoon coming.
*Sudden noises, including nose-blowing!
*Being on her back or tummy or in the car seat- she must be sitting up and watching everything!
*Being called a boy. (Okay, maybe this is my pet peeve, but she had on those pink and brown leggings yesterday and no less than 3 people in the BX said what a cute boy she was!)

Elliott is so interested in the world around her and it's really amazing to watch her grow so fast. She has the sweetest smile, and I think it's even sweeter because she's so serious sometimes- when she does smile you know she's really happy!

I put on my shoes and backpack by myself!
Abbey...
*Likes to sing. All the time. About everything. She makes up songs about what she's doing to tunes she already knows, and sometimes sings nonsense words and calls it Japanese. (By the way, she can count to ten in Japanese and also Spanish.) When she will allow it, I love to sing with her! (Sometimes she orders me to stop if I am not singing the "right" -meaning wrong- words.)
*Must know where we're going- don't try to surprise her or go a different way! When we discovered a shorter way to get to church it took about a month for her to stop telling us, hysterically from the backseat, "This isn't how we go to church! Stop! Slow down!"
*Wants to read books over and over until she has it memorized. Then she will say parts of the book along with you and purposely say the wrong thing, laugh at herself and say in a silly voice, "I said the wrong word!"
*Is very concerned when anyone, especially Elliott, is crying. This morning Elliott was fussing in the swing while I took Chico out, and when I came back Abbey had brought her pretty much every small baby toy we own to get her to stop! And if we hear another kid crying in the store she wants to find them and "check on them."
*Is a good helper (when she wants to be) with bringing things for Elliott, cleaning up and, her favorite, baking. ("Mommy, when can I taste?")
So that's your crash course on Abbey and Elliott. Writing all this down is a good reminder for me of how special they are! It's easy to get hung up on Elliott not sleeping well, or Abbey not listening... but I'm so blessed to have them.

1 comment:

bcstark said...

Can't wait to meet the girls! (Well, I've technically met Abbey but it sure has been a while.) We will definitely have to get together while you're in Texas.