I received an e-mail saying that the Consumer Product Safety Commission wants to make it illegal to sell your children's used clothing on eBay, in consignment stores, etc. I checked out the website attached to the e-mail and it appears to be legit. I admit that I don't know all the particulars of this proposition, but I do know it sounds totally ridiculous to not be able to buy and sell these items! Please take a minute to look at
the petition's website and maybe even sign the petition. (And please tell me if you learn anything about this petition being a hoax.)
***Updated to add: Go
here for some more information about this. Now it sounds to me like it doesn't apply so much to clothes but could still make things difficult for those who buy and sell other baby items from resale sources. Is anyone else totally confused about this?
We now return to your regularly scheduled non-political blogging.
2 comments:
hi bethany - you'll be hearing more from me soon ... but i just checked out your blog and i wanted to post something as I've been following this story ...
this from our local paper ...
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/business/2009/01/15/new_law_brings_extra_vigilance_at_resale_shops
So, I signed the petition because it seemed outrageous to me. Later, someone else sent me the snopes link and I was equally confused. But the people at the thrift stores around here are also confused and think it does apply to them, so I think it is a case of an unclear law. It sounds like the law is being clarified as it gets closer. I'm glad its not my job to figure such things out!
Post a Comment