Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Fancy Show

The other morning I was getting myself ready to go, not paying too much attention to the two little girls running in and out of my bathroom, since everyone was happy. Then I glanced to the right and did a double take at this...


... and ran to get the camera. This is what Abbey calls a "Fancy Show." I suppose she has been to more musical performances than your average four year old, and she is currently obsessed with interested in the book Fancy Nancy. Put those two things together and it makes a little more sense. But I'm still not sure what Shamu was doing in the show!

Playing dress-up is currently one of the favorite activities at our house. Here we have "Winter Abbey" modeling the latest in cold weather gear (which rarely gets taken out of the closet), accessorized with a jump rope and Daddy's running shoes.

Next we have the "Sparkly Baby" look on Elliott:

She kept pointing to the Crocs and proudly saying, "Abbey!"

And finally, here is "Air Force Abbey."

What do you mean flowered pants are out of regulation?!

Just like in the book Fancy Nancy, Abbey is very disappointed that I do not enjoy being fancy. Today as I was leaving for the grocery store, she gave me her pink-with-pink-hearts eye shade to wear, and I quote, "in case your forehead gets tired, Mom." I did at least wear it until I left the house. I remember how much I loved dressing up when I was a kid, and putting on shows with my brothers and cousins, so it's fun to see Abbey get so into it. I am really trying to keep that in mind when I am busy and she asks me to wear a silly hat or feather boa... but don't hold your breath for pictures of that!

4 comments:

Flip-flop Mama said...

I loved looking at pics of your cute little girls all dressed up, and pics of your home! It made me want to give them hugs! Has Elliott had a haircut yet? Trey has had atleast 10, and remember how little hair Ainsley had?!!

Mum-me said...

Girls and their dress-ups! Don't theyjust love it?

I have worn lots of 'fancy' things, but the surprised glances from passers-by become softened and more understanding when they look down and see the little girls in similar dress.

The girls really love it when I wear the necklaces, bracelets or fancy scarves they've made for me out to church or shopping.

Kristine said...

Playing dress-up always used be such fun as a kid. We outgrow it pretty fast though don't we? That's too bad. I really wanted an excuse to show up to work in my pajamas... "Kristine, why are you in PJs?"... "Because I'm playing dress-up."

jennifer said...

How fun!! I love the Fancy Nancy books! They are too cute!