Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Way Back Whensday: SEA WORLD!!!

Nothing says "Me-ri Ku-ris-mas" like a Japanese woman in a Santa suit and a sea lion wearing reindeer antlers. Am I right? :0)
Our first Christmas in Japan (2005) we took a 3 day trip to Tokyo and had a great time. One of the places we went was the Sunshine Aquarium in the Sunshine City building- the only aquarium I know of that's inside a 60 story skyscraper. The sea lion show and pelican parade were my favorite parts of the day, but I'm pretty sure 22-month-old Abbey's favorite was finding different turtle tanks and saying "turtle" over and over.
It was just as weird and hilarious as you are imagining.


Abbey and I pose with Col. Sanders/Santa in Tokyo. Roasted chicken is a popular meal for Japanese at Christmas so KFC goes all out. (Not at the aquarium but on the same trip.)

Abbey is a little Lost in Translation.


Another favorite part of the Sunshine City aquarium- tiny cute penguins!

So it's somehow fitting that during our first Christmas season in our new home, we visited another aquarium- SeaWorld San Antonio. One of our best Christmas gifts (from my mom and stepdad) was season passes for our family, and we are already looking forward to going back.

Meeting Shamu Claus.


Abbey and Chad feed the dolphins- no, really!


Eeek! A shark!

The narration during the Shamu show was beyond cheesy, but the whales' performance more than made up for it. I had goosebumps!


Why you shouldn't sit in the "Splash zone" when it's 55 degrees outside.

No matter how long we stood there, that little boy would not go away!
Probably his mother is looking at her pictures saying, Why wouldn't that family get out of my picture?

Meeting a very colorful acrobat from the Viva! Show.

More bad luck trying to get a family photo- seriously, why would you offer to take someone's picture and then take it crooked?!

I was so glad that we spent our Christmas Eve with Shamu and friends. It forced me to get most of the other "last minute" things finished by the 23rd and we were able to just enjoy a fun day together.

5 comments:

Heather said...

What fun! We LOVE Sea World! I sure wish it were warm enough here for a trip to Sea World, but it is 7 degrees this morning! Brrrr....
Take me back to Texas!
Happy New Year! love...Heather

Flip-flop Mama said...

I am so jealous! I have never been to a Sea World and I want to go!!! Season Passes sound great! GooF says, "We're going! Are there any jobs in San Antonio?"

Flip-flop Mama said...

That crooked photo is funny. . .ATLEAST they got the WHOLE Christmas Tree in the pic :)

jordan said...

I love the old pictures from Japan. They remind me of how funny it can be to experience a culture different from your own and of how cute Abbey was as a toddler. (Now she is beautiful, of course!)

The family pictures from Sea World were hilarious...you all still look great, even with a random extra kid or a little...sideways. We can't wait to come visit and join you on another trip to Sea World! That season pass is one of the best presents I can imagine.

Jen said...

What kind of camera did you end up getting? Looks like you guys had a great time and a very good Christmas (really, sleeping til 7 would be the best present in the world!)