Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Way Back Whens-day: Trimming the Tree

We put our Christmas decorations up! By December 8! Okay, really this is not that big of an accomplishment because all of our decorations can fit in one small plastic tub. It was actually fun- the only thing missing was some hot chocolate and cookies, but Abbey was having some tummy trouble so it seemed unfair to snack in front of her.
Chad and I never put up a Christmas tree until we moved to Japan in 2005. Before that, we were always gone at Christmas, and it wasn't important to me. (If it weren't for Abbey, it still wouldn't matter to me!) These pictures are from two years ago when Singing Penguin joined our family. He dances and sings "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" in a Bruce Springsteen type-voice and Abbey is crazy about him. The other penguin set-up in the picture belonged to a friend, and after listening to them both singing simultaneously for several days I was not sad to see them go!
2006:

2 year old Abbey, in singing penguin heaven.


One of my favorite ornaments- a Japanese washi paper-covered star.
That's Elliott filling out my sweatshirt for me.



2008: Don't worry, Singing Penguin moved to Texas with us, and is now joined by his silent counterpart, Santa Penguin. There is also a small Lite-Brite up there and some good Christmas-y books.
Can you tell the tree was decorated by two short people?
I had to rearrange a bit after they went to bed.

We even found some ornaments safe enough for Elliott. She kept saying, "Tree!"
(Please excuse our lack of holiday apparel.)


When I was a kid, my dad worked for his family's greenhouse and December was a CRAZY time of year for him. But every year my parents found a time when we were all home, Dad got the decorations out of the attic, my brothers and I excitedly unwrapped the ornaments, and Mom turned on Christmas music (probably to drown out us fighting over who was going to hang up the Santa Gorillas). So even though decorating is not my strong suit, I look forward to many years of trimming the tree and making memories together!

8 comments:

Flip-flop Mama said...

I love your holiday apparel or lack of. . .I trimmed the tree in jammies this year too :) You look so cute Bethany, in the pic with Elliott filling out your sweatshirt!

debi9kids said...

How cute! LOVE the naked budha belly!

Mum-me said...

Fighting over Santa gorillas? Now that's a christmas tradition I hadn't heard of before. (My brother and I used to argue over who would attach the gaudy, fake birdies to the end of each branch.)

Putting up the Christmas tree is one of my favourite traditions. Taking it down - that's something I don't look forward to.

Amanda said...

Your tree looks great! We're still stuck in the stage of never spending Christmas at home, so we've got a tiny tree out and some stockings! I look forward to the days we'll be able to "do it up right!"

(and yay for silent counterparts!)

Shelly said...

I'm catching up...again! I can't believe Abbey had that much hair when she was two! Those beautiful golden locks are flowing down her back!!!! Avery is soo bald. And I would so play along with your "tag" but I am so behind, so I'm going to pass on this one, but when I get back into regular blogging, don't forget me! :-)

jennifer said...

Better late than never right?? Fun flashback pictures!

Rachel Kerbel said...

you are creating such sweet memories for you and the girls! by the way-your hair cut is awesome! i love the shortness:)

Bethany said...

Thanks Rachel, I'm assuming you mean the first picture of me... I saw it and said, I want to cut my hair short again! Right now it's in the floppy growing it out stage.