Sunday afternoon was Holiday in Blue- the Air Force band's holiday concert. It is a big event, and open to the public. It was held in a large auditorium at a local university, and it was packed! All I knew about this concert was that Chad was going to be playing the bodhran, an Irish drum that was brand new to him, so I was interested to see the concert. My mom and stepdad, Les, were able to come down too- it had been a long time since they had seen Chad perform.
We enjoyed the concert- the band sounded great, there was a wide variety of music (in keeping with the theme of Joy to the WORLD), and even from our high seats we could see Chad playing just about everything in the percussion area. But it was so LONG! Two hours, not including intermission! I was very proud of Abbey- she asked a lot of questions, but was mostly quiet and happy to be with her Nana. Elliott, on the other hand, was extremely overtired and wanted to be with Daddy, not watching him. Thank goodness for snacks: between the two of them they consumed a granola bar, a small bag of Cheerios, an ENTIRE bag of Goldfish, a candy cane, and a bottle of water. (And a partridge in a pear tree...) Les took Elliott to the lobby for a while, which was a nice break, but by the end of the show, nobody but Mama would do, and it was like having a sack full of cats in my lap- complete with strange noises and scratches. Fortunately the last two numbers were pretty loud.
Here is a short video- you can hear the band come back in after a drum break in A Celtic Carol. Unfortunately it's after Chad's bodhran performance (that video didn't turn out). But maybe you can see why I'm so proud of Chad, and still kind of can't believe that's really his job. :0)


10 comments:
How cool! They sounded great in the video. Bless your heart for wrestling your two little ones for two hours. That was a beating, I know. But I can't hardly blame them because I get wrestless after sitting for 2 hours, too! Elliot looked very cute in her red dress!
After I hit "publish" I realized that I misspelled restless....Hmmm...I feel the overwhelming need to apologize because you always have such good grammar! :-)
"A bagful of cats." Perfect. Absolutely perfect. I have felt that way with a toddler in my lap countless times, but could never capture it in words. You're a metaphor master, Bethany!
Good for you to stick the whole concert out. Commendable!
"Sack full of cats." I can't even quote the metaphor correctly, let alone come up with one.
I'm glad you put the picture of Santa parachuting in - guess I was handing out some "ish" or something and missed that! Cute!
Sounds like a fun concert to go to. It's great that the kids' (or at least Abbey) patience is growing, at least enough to withstand such a long period of sitting. That's pretty impressive!
Go Chad...sounds great. Wish we could have been there too. I would've had my own sack of cats to deal with, but Sophia would have enjoyed the music (and snacks) with Abbey.
The bell choir at the library sounds interesting, too. I love that kind of stuff.
What a fantastic evening!!!! Because of where I live, our highschool actually always had the air force band come to perform for us and i was always so impressed with them. They put on a spectacular show!
LOL about the amount of food the girls ate. haha
The band sounds great. And I know about the food - at times like that it can be the only way to occupy the little ones.
Wow that looked like a lot of fun (even if it was 2 hours!). ;)
Post a Comment