Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Abbey's First Soccer Game

Yes, Abbey is already finished being a soccer kid for now. First Steps Soccer is only six weeks long, but that was long enough for me and Chad Abbey to learn the basics of the game. Before this, everything we knew about soccer we had learned from Backyardigans or Dora. She seemed excited about playing on a team in the future.
At her last practice, they had a scrimmage of sorts. Since they had not learned anything about working as a team, it was pretty funny!

Go First Steps!!!


There was a lot of running in every direction.


Abbey was proud of her medal.

I didn't really know what to expect from Abbey going into this. She doesn't like being put on the spot in front of other kids, and she notices when other kids are doing better than she is (and some of those little boys were really good!). But I was so proud of her- she listened to the coach so well, and tried hard, and had fun. I know for her one of the best parts was having Mom or Dad's total attention and lots of encouragement. Being the "cheerleader" isn't always easy for me, but I am going to work on being more enthusiastic and encouraging with her. It was fun, but I am done being a Soccer Mom for now!

4 comments:

deatra said...

i am proud of all of you! way to go, Newmans!

Kristine said...

It's been awhile since your last blog post! I was beginning to think you'd gotten lost in your soccer mom minivan. ;-)

It's so great that Abbey enjoyed her intro to soccer and that you could all share it as a family.

Bethany said...

Minivan?! Excuse me?! I do not drive a minivan, Kristine!

Mum-me said...

Yes, that one-on-one time is what the children really enjoy. No matter what it is (except weeding the garden - that doesn't count as one-on-one time in our family. My children consider that to be torture.)