Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Trip to the Funny Farm

One thing I missed doing when we lived in Japan was going to a pumpkin patch in the fall, so I had been looking forward to finding one for us to visit. On Saturday we drove about 30 miles outside of town and visited the South Texas Maze. This is an actual family farm (or maybe it's a ranch?) that grows a huge, walk-through maze every year, and has other fun activities. (Click the link for pictures of their cool mazes!) My feelings were mixed about this place. We did have a good time, and it was nice to get out of the city for the day, but I couldn't believe it cost our little family $25 to get in, and then some of the activities weren't even included in the price! Then we didn't even go through the maze- the girls were having too much fun doing other things, and I don't think they would have understood walking around being lost was supposed to be fun. Oh, well, there will be other pumpkin patches to try. The highlights of our day at the "funny farm" (as Chad called it) were watching and feeding the goats, sliding and bouncing, riding the barrel train, and eating a giant, delicious ear of fresh corn.
PLEASE watch the slideshow- enjoy!

6 comments:

Libby said...

Vala's pumpkin patch here costs $12 a person - that's everyone over 24 months! I was dumb and went in September this year. Then I got two free passes this month when I renewed my Children's Museum membership (as I did last year). So, $36 this year, $48 next year (*only* $24 if I wait for the passes!) for our little family. The pig races and hay ride were the favorites.

Shelly said...

What fun! I love the picture of the three of you in the barrel on the train. That is too cute! I haven't taken Avery to a pumpkin patch yet, but hopefully we'll make it before they are all over!

Mum-me said...

The photos are lovely - I finally managed to see them as they wouldn't load up for ages! Looks like a great place! I have been reading about these places on various blogs. We don't have anything like that here. To me, 'Pumpkin Patch' is a children's designer fashion label.

Kristine said...

That looks like so much fun! And that ear of corn is as big as Abbey's head! Sounds like a nice family Fall outing. Don't you love this cooler weather?!? Finally, right? I especially love that photo of you and the girls in the 'tractor train'.

jennifer said...

How fun! We are going to a pumpkin patch/corn maze thing this weekend. I hope it is as much fun as yours was!

debi9kids said...

Darn! I couldn't get it to load :(

Sounds like a fun place though, even if it was pricey.

I don't think we're going to make it this year. Whaaaaa! the temps here in NJ are supposed to plunge to 30 tomorrow! YIKES!