Thursday, October 9, 2008

Road Trip

Last week I drove to my mom's house- with Abbey and Elliott, with Chico, and without Chad. Good times. I think the most fun part was walking Chico on the grassy edge of a parking lot while holding Elliott and repeatedly explaining to Abbey that she couldn't hold the leash or he would pull her into traffic. No, wait, the most fun part had to have been changing Elliott's unbelievably messy diaper in the front seat of my new car because there were no changing tables around. Oh, no, the most fun part was definitely driving through Austin with semi-trucks on both sides of me and a giant pick-up truck zooming up my bumper while both my children screamed their heads off.
Okay, enough complaining. Other than the driving part we had a good visit! We celebrated my stepdad's birthday (won't mention which one), saw some old friends at church, and... I went away BY MYSELF overnight! For the first time ever! Yes, I attended a convention like a real grown-up adult. It was the MOPS convention. For those of you who don't know, MOPS is Mothers of Preschoolers, and I have attended their meetings on and off since Abbey was a baby. It is really geared toward the ladies who are on the steering teams of their local groups, but since it was "only" 6 hours away and there were some great workshops available, I went. My friend Christi and I drove there together after leaving our crying babies behind, and it was so good to catch up with her. Go here (and scroll down) for a funny picture she took at the convention. It was great to be around so many people who understand that being a Mom is a real, important job and I'm glad I was able to go. I came away encouraged and inspired. Of course, one of the best parts of the whole experience was the night of totally uninterrupted sleep and not having to fix anyone's food for them! While I was off doing that, the girls spent two days and one night with Nana and Les. (Thank you!) Of course there were some tears, but everyone did well. They took the girls to ride the train at a local park. Here are some of the great pictures that Les took of my beautiful girls having fun.
Here comes the train.


Elliott's a train riding pro!

Abbey making train sounds.

24 hours into me being gone, Nana and Les are still smiling.

8 comments:

Flip-flop Mama said...

Ahh, the joys of traveling with kids :) I remember pulling over and changing Ainsley's poopy diaper on the side of a gravel road once! Glad you got some good adult time at convention. . .the girls from our group showed us a picture of the urinels too :)

bcstark said...

I'm so glad we got to spend time together at convention - it was a lot of fun! We'll have to try to meet up when we're in San Antonio later this year.

CycloneMomma said...

Don't even tell me that's the Forest Park Miniature Railroad!! You should have called us!

jordan said...

Glad you had a good time away from the girls and I must say it looks like they were smiling in the photos, too!

Kristine said...

I'm glad the kids survived in your absence. It's also good you had a good time at the convention. I'm sure you got some great parenting and fun ideas for you and the kids.

Mum-me said...

Sorry, but I had to laugh at your descriptions of the 'fun' it is to travel with young children (and you've thrown a dog in the mix just to keep it more interesting.)I'll just say that I understand completely!

And how great to get some child-free time (knowing the girls were being well looked-after too) I am so envious!

debi9kids said...

LOL Well, atleast you made it there;)
I think EVERY trip I have ever taken with the kids has ended in someone puking or having a diaper blow-out!UGH!

The pics are just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

How cool that you got to go to the convention! That's great. A road trip with everybody, though? Yuck. I'm glad you made it there and back in one piece. :) :)