Thursday, April 24, 2008

Shoe shopping

Elliott really enjoys playing outside, especially climbing onto the little slide or walking (with our help) in the grass. So I set out to get her some "outside" shoes.
Enjoying a snack before heading out. With that bib and those pants, you would think we were going shopping for mini-combat boots!

Whenever I am driving off-base I always want to take pictures. Today I took this one at a stoplight. This sign that says "Everybody loves sweets" is so typical for Japan- the sign is in English but I bet if I went inside nothing else would be.

We went to Nishimatsuya, my favorite Japanese kid's clothing store. Americans usually call it the Bunny Store, for obvious reasons. See how they have "IN" on their sign? I have always wondered if that's just for English-speakers like me, or just to look smart and use a little English, or what?!
Turns out Elliott's feet are TINY and I had to buy the smallest size they carried- 11.5 cm. These shoes were only $5 a pair so I bought two!

Cute, comfy, and the velcro strap doubles as a toy for Elliott.

6 comments:

Kristine said...

Japanese signs are always entertaining to look at (not so much to read). They use such odd-looking cartoon characters to advertise just about everything. Great for kids, but not so much for the rest of us.

Elliott's new shoes look so cute [and affordable]. That's when you buy one of each color. You won't be able to get $5 children's shoes once you return to Texas, so you better stock up.

debi9kids said...

Those shoes are just adorable!!!
What an awesome price too!
When my brother was stationed in Turkey, he used to say the same thing about the prices and the "english" signs.
I wonder if it is just near the bases that it is like that???

Flip-flop Mama said...

Wish I could've shoe shopped with you. . .as a kid I liked shoe stores better than toy stores. I'd walk through them and pick out what shoes I'd want to buy if I was a mommy and had kids to buy for :) Now that I am a mommy, I know they all cost money! I'll have to measure Trey's feet and see if they're more than 11.5cm :)

bcstark said...

Those shoes are adorable! For some reason I think shopping in Japan would be a lot of fun. Even though I'd likely be completely confused the whole time. :)

Amanda said...

LOL, the Japanese signs are cute...but I'd have to agree that they would probably seem annoyingly childish after awhile!

The shoes are cute though, and you can't beat the price!

CycloneMomma said...

I visited my sister when she was teaching in Japan and we loved all the "Engrish" signs too. :) Speaking of which you should check out, www.engrish.com It cracks me up. :)

Where are you moving to in Texas?