Sunday, April 20, 2008

Happy camper

This weekend has been rough. Chad was gone, Elliott was sick, and it rained a lot. And when the mommy has a tough time, so does the big sister. I'm not sure who was more frustrated with the cranky, sick baby- me or Abbey. Thankfully, Abbey slept great every night, never caught Elliott's illness, and even found some ways to have fun, namely CAMPING! I should mention that we have never taken Abbey camping- my idea of fun does not include sleeping on the ground, and Chad got enough of "camping" during four years in the Army. But we read Curious George Goes Camping, and Abbey knows how to operate her tent door zipper, so that clearly makes her an expert. She taught me that one of the most important parts of camping is to hide as many toys as possible inside your tent to keep them safe from bears... or crawling babies.

She actually said to me, "I need some privacy."
During our rough weekend we were very blessed to have some help- my friend Cara kept both the girls at her house so I could catch up on some missed sleep, and Abbey's 13-year-old friend Lauren came over to play with her too. (Abbey doesn't have to know I am paying Lauren to be her friend, right?!) I think getting some attention from someone other than her grumpy, sleepy mom really helped Abbey. I even caught her "reading" this touch and feel book to Elliott.


"Once upon a time there was a beautiful big sister who was tormented by a grumpy baby sister..."

We are all glad that it's Monday and the sun is shining. Here's to a better week!

7 comments:

Flip-flop Mama said...

What an "expert" camper you have. Ainsley thinks she's an expert on many subjects and that Porter's a "food expert" :) And yes, my daughter tells me she needs privacy too. I wanted Ainsley to have siblings for friends, but didn't realize they'd torment each other too :)

Anonymous said...

Is that an actual tent you have set up?

Elliot did look herself at the pool today! Did you notice that Mattea and Abbey will be in the same class?

Koinerfamily said...

Sorry about your rough weekend, but you did get some cute photos from it! :) I love the picture of Abbey reading to Elliott, so sweet!

bcstark said...

Indoor camping - now THAT's my kind of camping! :)

Shelly said...

Once again, your blog had me cracking up. You should write a book. I'm sorry to hear about your rough night. I haven't had any of those in a LONG time, but I expect them to come sometime in the near future.

debi9kids said...

I am so glad you got some much needed sleep! YEAH!
LOVe the picture of the girls together! Just precious! :)

Amanda said...

I definitely think that that's the best way to go camping...Just think of the house as a much bigger tent outside the little one! :)

I hope your week gets better, looks like you had some good help! ;)