Monday, May 31, 2010

Field Day

We have been busy around here lately! Turns out that when you have a child in school, the last two weeks are full of festivities, and most of those festivities need parent volunteers. So Elliott and I have spent more time than usual at Abbey's school lately.
One of these events was Field Day. I never liked Field Day when I was in elementary school, but this one was actually a lot of fun. For starters, someone was smart enough to realize that 5- and 6-year-olds get hot and tired very quickly, and they had a separate, shorter Field Day for the youngest students. Also, they set up lots of games that the kids could play in any order, to avoid all the waiting around for your turn to run in some relay race that you don't want to run anyway. I kept track of Abbey and two of her classmates while they played, and everyone had fun. The other kids ended up in most of the pictures, so I will just share this silly one.


She balanced this wire on her nose for a long time but it slipped!

Elliott enjoyed watching the older kids, but of course wanted to participate too. By the end she was quite frustrated with trying to keep up. One of the coaches said she could play by herself for a bit after the kindergartners left.


A champion penguin bowler in the making.

This picture sums up how Elliott and I felt after Field Day:

Cleaned up and in comfy clothes... Aaaaaaaah.


Stay tuned, we're not finished with end of the year fun yet!

3 comments:

gardeniagirl said...

Fun! Yeah, field day was never my forte. But it looks like Abby had a good time.

Mum-me said...

Looks like fun!

I'd like to try the nose-balancing apparatus.

You're a good mum to get involved. I gave up a few years ago (too many toodlers feeling left out = mum getting super frustrated).

Field Day sounds a bit like our Sports Day. The Primary Students (Grade 3 - 6) do a real Athletics Carnival, but the Infants (Kinder - Grade 2) have a few running races and lots of novelty events, which only runs for the afternoon session rather than all day.

deatra said...

Ah, yes, Field Day! It does evoke many wonderful, sweaty memories, doesn't it? Looks like the girls had fun though.