Sunday, May 23, 2010

Music Recital

A few months ago, Abbey started taking a music class. It was a tough call whether or not to enroll her in the middle of the year when the other students had been in class since the beginning of the school year, and many of them since they were 3 years old. I didn't want her to get frustrated and want to quit. But she worked hard, caught up, and I am so glad- not only has she learned so much, I think we have finally found something she KNOWS she is good at, and it has really boosted her confidence. :0)
First, each student played a solo on the keyboard- a simple song played with each hand, then along with the music track. Abbey informed me on the way there that she didn't even need to look at her book- and she didn't!

Yes, that is my extremely shy daughter, in front of other people, who are all looking at her, playing her song and never missing a note!

After all the solos, the class did several other musical activities as a group. Here is Abbey pointing to the rhythms written on the board, while her teacher plays piano and the other students play along with their rhythm sticks.

Then there was a short puppet show, "pass the microphone around" singing, playing percussion instruments along with a gypsy song, playing xylophones and a little dancing.


Abbey is the girl puppet. The other kids sang a song about the crocodile in the Nile.


I love xylophones!


Abbey and Ms. Anita!


Daddy is so proud of Abbey! (And for Elliott for holding it together and being quiet.)

Now, don't get the idea that we are pushing for Abbey to become an extraordinary concert pianist! In fact, the thing I have been so impressed with about this class is that everything is very age-appropriate and simple and FUN! Her teacher's hope is that children will learn to love playing music and will have a good foundation to play piano or whatever else they want when they finish her class (second grade). This is definitely our hope for Abbey. I took piano lessons for about ten years and was in band from sixth grade on, and those are some of my best memories from my childhood. Of course at the time, I had no idea the sacrifice of time and money my parents were making to provide these opportunities for me, but now I am so thankful that they did! Chad started taking drum lessons in middle school, and was hooked, and now he is a professional musician. We are both so lucky and we hope to give our kids these opportunities.

Abbey is ready for a break (she doesn't love the long drive over there after school) but is already looking forward to going back in the fall... when she gets to start playing recorder! (My ears hurt a little just thinking about it.) We are SO proud of her and we can't wait to see what she does next.

4 comments:

jordan said...

That looks like so much fun! I have been looking for a class just like that where fun is emphasized. I am so impressed with Abbey for playing in front of everyone. She rocks!

Mum-me said...

Yay for Abbey! I am so glad to hear she is enjoying her music lessons. As a piano/flute teacher for over 20 years now, I used to always try and emphasis the 'fun' aspect of music. Some parents would be frustrated that their child who had been learning piano for 10 years suddenly decides in their final year of school to study science or law. I would point out to them that after a long day searching for the cure for cancer or prosecuting nasty criminal in court they would be able to come home and relax by playing Chopin's Nocturnes on their (probably very expensive) Kawai baby grand.

(And BTW, I always found that approx age 6-7 was best age for a child to start piano lessons. Any earlier and they really weren't learning very much. Once they hit 6-7 they would 'take off'. So it's not surprising that Abbey caught up with the rest of the class so quickly - she was just the right age. But no doubt her musical gene helped a lot too ;) )

gardeniagirl said...

Congrats Abbey!

Heather said...

Yay for Abbey! It is a BIG deal to play in front of others! Congrats!