If you have been reading this blog for a while, you know that I am not the mom who plans the super-cool theme birthday parties. I have decided I am okay with this. As long as the kids are happy, then I am happy... even if the party is planned at the last minute and held on a Wednesday morning.
So let's take a look at how my version turned out...
But you know what? I didn't even care anymore once Elliott came in and saw the cake and did this:
Things did not go exactly as planned for the party. I had ordered a purple backpack just like Dora's for Elliott, and drawn a map for the kids to follow to get to the birthday cake. And of course it did not arrive here until after the party, even though the other part of that same amazon.com order arrived six days earlier. (I hate Amazon!!) So, the kids just followed the map and didn't really make the Dora connection. I had them hop through some hula hoops on the ground, run through a bubble cloud, and "that's how you get to the birthday cake!" They were pretty cute running around in the back yard.
Not sure what's going on here.
Then of course it was time for the cake, which was a hit despite being lopsided, and some snacks. After that Elliott opened her presents, and did a great job saying "thank you" to her friends.
After a much-needed nap, and some more cake, Elliott opened some more presents from us and her grandparents. She got her first pair of (pink!) cowgirl boots, a music box and necklace, and a book written and illustrated entirely by Abbey. She was excited about everything.
All in all it was a great day. Elliott is so blessed to have wonderful friends and family to celebrate with, and we are so blessed to have her!

5 comments:
Well, being one of those Moms that goes crazy-all-out-super-theme at birthday parties, I have to say that your kids' parties always look great! The kids have a great time and simple is good.
Also, I was actually thinking of making that same exact cake for Tessa! I would have been disappointed too that it wasn't perfect, but seeing that look on Elliott's face, nobody could stay disappointed!
Happy Birthday to Elliott! I saw that first picture and was like, did she really make that? It reminds me of the Christmas tree cake I tried to make one year. . it toppled :) I have to attempt to make an iron man cake. . wish me luck on that one! you are a wonderful mommy Bethany
Elliot's party looked like heaps of fun, even though the backpack didn't arrive on time.
I always say it doesn't matter how the cake turns out as long as the birthday child is happy with it, and it tastes good. (I have had a few of those 'not quite right' birthday cake moments .... actually, I have had a LOT of them.)
I'm so sorry we couldn't come! I'm sure the cake tasted awesome.
Happy birthday to Elliott. My kids are still talking about her birthday.
Bethany is a wreckerator!
Post a Comment