This Labor Day weekend was the 20th anniversary of our first reunion on the lake. (I am a little late posting.) Obviously things were a lot different than in 1988. There were twenty one adults, five kids (ages 1-12), two foreign exchange students, and a small dog; we met in a big house by a different lake, and we don't all spend the night anymore. But two things were the same: we ate a lot, and we had a lot of fun.
My Uncle Mike wakeboarding- he is the biggest kid at heart
(someone please tell me if that is not really a wakeboard)
Abbey went out on the boat twice and had fun watching. She told me, "The boat was going so fast I couldn't open my eyes!" So they must be stopped in this picture.
Abbey gets a ride in the intertube... on land. Thanks Uncle Matt!
I should admit right now that I am probably the only person in my family who cannot water ski. I used to get out there and try but decided years ago that it was too much trouble! I will go out on the intertube again someday, but this year I spent the whole day hanging out inside with Elliott and some of my female relatives. It was great!
Even though Elliott hadn't seen Uncle Matt in almost three months, she went right to him and was so happy.
Besides water fun, Abbey played with my cousin Jessica, chased the dog around, and ate a lot of snacks and sweets.
Snapping green beans with my one-of-a-kind GranmomSome reunions have been especially memorable- fishing "incidents", silly string fights, etc. In 1996, we celebrated my dad's 40th birthday by reading a silly made-up story and popping water balloons on him every time the word "40" was read. It turns out that was the last reunion with my dad, Mark, there- he died suddenly the following spring. I am sharing that not to make anyone sad or feel sorry for me, but to encourage everyone to make memories with your families because you never know when you won't have another chance. Even though I still miss my dad so much when I am surrounded by his parents, brothers, sister and their families, I wouldn't miss it!
And in case you are wondering what I looked like in 1988.....



4 comments:
What a cute picture way back when Bethany! I don't think I ever saw pics of you as a kid, with bangs :)Glad you had some fun with family, and thanks for the call today! I was excited to hear from you :)
Thanks for the cute pictures Bethany! :) I had a good cry and some smiles too, your Dad is a great person and I'm so glad I got to know him, he must be so proud of you and the great mom you are.
I love the pic of you as a kid. How fun and how special to share you memories with us. Thanks.
I've been wondering when you would blog about the weekend at the lake. What fun! And Mike! I can't believe it! He IS such a kid at heart. And he is probably in better physical shape than a lot of the kids I know. Yes, that is a wakeboard. If someone tells you otherwise, let me know because that means I've got it wrong too. I love your sentiment about making memories. What a nice 40th birthday memory of your dad. Such a wonderful man.
Post a Comment