Chad took this picture while wandering in the stadium in search of food and restrooms.
We had a good time... well, except for Elliott who alternately wanted to sleep (too noisy) or get out of my lap (too dirty and steep). Abbey was amazingly good through the whole game and the trip back to the hotel even though it was so late. She asked a lot of questions that showed me she was paying attention to the game, got to eat a corn dog and ice cream, and insisted that we all wear our caps to be "baseball kids." We don't usually buy her souvenirs, but surprised her with a noisemaker (two small plastic bats connected by a string) when we left the stadium. Many of the fans had them and beat them together in unison while cheering Go go Swallows! so it will be a fun reminder.
About the trip home.... We were already beat by the time we left the game- we had been walking, climbing stairs and carrying the kids all day. We walked to the subway station, took the train to Shibuya station and started walking to our bus stop. Except that Shibuya station is HUGE and we came out the wrong side. By the time we figured this out and found where to catch the bus, it was 10:02. Did I mention the buses stop running at 10? So we trooped back inside the station, which was still incredibly busy even at 10 pm, where we took a leap of faith and took a different train than I had ever taken before, got off and rode the subway some more, then walked back to the hotel. Phew. I appreciate Tokyo's amazing public transportation but I will not miss moments like that. But! It was all worth it to say we have watched "America's pastime" in Japan.
6 comments:
Wow! Sounds like fun and such brave parents to take a little one to a game. I'm such a wimp that I rarely take my little ones to little league games, let alone a major league one! LOL
If we're being totally honest, I was hoping that Chad would volunteer to keep the kids at the hotel and let me go to the game with my brothers! But he was convinced it would be okay... and it was... in the end. Though I don't know that Elliott felt that way half way through the game!
Porter would have loved to come along. . the game, the train, the baseball caps, the food!
I'm proud of you for being flexible enough to take everyone to the game. It sounds like it was a lot of fun, and a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a baseball game in Japan. It would have been a shame for Chad to have missed it! I think it would be so interesting to hear all the play by play and announcements in Japanese. I'm happy the "boys" were able to make the trip, and make some great memories.
Looks like a lot of fun! We're supposed to go to a Ranger's game with Jackson for my MIL's birthday in July... I'm wondering how it's gonna go.
Where's a pic of you and Chad being baseball kids? :)
Looks like a lot of fun! Even getting lost at Shibuya station...I know you won't miss moments like that but you will enjoy those memories of your crazy experiences in Japan.
Did I ever tell you about when I went to a baseball game in Tokyo? It was the Japanese All Stars vs. the American All Stars. Guess who won? Nobody! It was a tie game and the Americans had a plane to catch so the game just ended. Everyone in the stadium got back Y100 (about $1) in a little red envelope because of the tie. A nice momento, but I thought there weren't any ties in baseball!
Post a Comment