I was so very blessed to have a normal, easy pregnancy both times. When I was 20 weeks pregnant with Elliott, I was told I had a complete placenta previa, so I would have to have a c-section, I could end up on bed rest, etc. But it resolved on its own and by 32 weeks, they said I did not have to plan a c-section. Yeah!
On the afternoon of May 8, 2007, I walked Abbey to the playground and was having a lot of Braxton-Hicks contractions (or so I thought). They weren't painful but even after resting and eating dinner they didn't stop, so I decided to make the 2 minute drive (really) to get checked out. As I was walking out the door EVERY smoke alarm in our house started going off. It was scary! Chad and I ran around making sure there was no fire or smoke anywhere, then he told me to leave and he would call maintenance. I came home an hour or so later, after being told I was only dilated to 1.5 cm, to find Chad, Abbey and Chico sitting in the front yard and the smoke alarms still going off! What was taking so long? Well, one of the "fun" things about living on a military base is that when there is a training exercise, everyone is affected. Apparently when they are practicing for chemical warfare your smoke alarms are not high priority. Eventually two workers came and turned them off so we were able to go to bed. I woke up after midnight to steady contractions but waited a while to wake up Chad. We started getting ready to go and called my good friend, Anne, to come over and stay with Abbey. I was so nervous and excited walking into the hospital at 2 AM, but the OB nurses weren't that excited to see me. Since I was only at 3 cm, they wanted me to go home and take a sleeping pill and come back. Um, no. Instead Chad and I headed downstairs to walk around. Remember the training exercise that was going on? Yes, it was happening at the hospital too- there were airmen in full chem-gear lying on the floor (playing dead? sleeping?) and strange announcements like "MOPP code black!" over the intercom, while I was hobbling down the hall squeezing the life out of Chad's arm every few minutes. A true military wife experience. I didn't even last an hour walking, and when I went back up they were surprised to find I was at 6 cm, and called the doc. I had met all of the obstetricians during my pregnancy and was surprised to see a VERY young and unfamiliar family practice doc in my room claiming he was there to deliver my baby. But then the nurse anesthetist showed up and gave me a fabulous "light spinal anesthesia" and I no longer cared how old Dr. Otero was. (I had an epidural with Abbey and much preferred the spinal since I could still feel contractions.) I was able to rest a while after that and started pushing around 7:15 AM. Our beautiful, healthy little girl with a head full of brown hair was born at 7:47 AM on a sunny morning, measuring in at 7 pounds and 19 inches. But what, oh what, was her name? According to Abbey, it was Butter Honey, but I wasn't so sure- we finally settled on Elliott Delaney the next day. 
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
That afternoon, I learned what it means to be a mother of more than one child. Chad brought Abbey to see us and she was so sweet and excited. Then when we had to say good-bye and Abbey just lost it- she had never been away from mommy overnight in her whole life and now Mommy was staying at the hospital with that Baby? I'm not sure which one of us was crying harder when she left- me or her. But we all survived and brought Elliott home two days later.
The past year has been a blur- thank goodness for the digital camera! I can't believe I thought the second baby would be easier! It has been really hard at times, trying to give them both what they need. The main thing I have learned is to try and take things one day/hour/nap/poopy diaper/potty-training accident/tantrum/sleepless night at a time. Even on the toughest days, I can't imagine our family without Elliott now and I can't wait to watch her grow up some more.
6 comments:
That was sweet Bethany! I had fun reading your story. . just wish my body had known how to go into labor on its own :)Emily
Very fun to read - I may borrow your idea for Jackson's birthday. I am sure when they are older your girls will have fun reading the stories of their births!
That was a lovely birth story. Happy Birthday to Elliot!
You're right, though, as I thought the second baby was harder than the first as far as finding time to meet both their needs. I also wasn't sure I would be able to love another child as much as I loved my first, but miraculously the love just doubled the moment he was born. And it had multiplied again with each baby after that!
What a GREAT story! Thanks for sharing it.
I love how you experienced a "true military wife's delivery". Just great!
aww, happy birthday to Elliott! That was another fun story! :)
Bethany, I Love your blog, it truly helps when I'm apart from all of you. As I sit here in my fancy hotel room in Sapporo I thank my lucky stars that you are my wife and the mother of my silly, beautiful, overwhelming little girls, and Chico. Felita starting to cry today while we were performing for the Kindergarten through 12th grade children at Hokkaido International School (American/English). These students are from all over the world who study with American and other English teachers. This show was different than our normal 2hr music hall shows and always fun due to the fact that they go crazy, which gives us a needed boost of energy. I know we are doing good things up here with helping Japanese-American friendship, peforming for enthusiastic audiences, viewing live volcanoes, quickly lounging in a onsen next to a mini-Mt Fuji overlooking donut shaped lake, and experiencing amazing mountain/ocean views. I can't wait to come home to you. Love Chad
Post a Comment