Sunday, May 4, 2008

Baby dedication

This Sunday Elliott and I were part of the Baby Dedication at church. (Unfortunately Chad could not be there- when it was planned we thought he would be home on Saturday, but it turned out he didn't arrive until Sunday night. Don't get me started about this and many other frustrating things about this particular TDY!) Elliott enjoyed looking at everyone and was very quiet, though she did not want Pastor Paul to hold her!

The parents were asked some questions as a group...

...then Pastor Paul prayed for each child individually.

(I guess Elliott doesn't know about bowing her head!)

This brief ceremony is really more for the parents- asking us to promise that we will raise our children in the Lord until they can make their own decision to follow Him. It is not a baptism or a christening. While standing in front of the congregation, I admit I was thinking more about keeping Elliott happy than about what the pastor was saying- fortunately, the questions he asked us were printed in the bulletin. Two that really struck me are "Do you today recognize these children as gifts of God and give heartfelt thanks for God's blessing?" and "Do you promise to provide, through God's blessing, for the physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual needs of your children, looking to your own heavenly Father for the wisdom, love and strength to serve them?" I am often not as thankful as I should be for my children- it is easy to focus on the hard parts. And though of course I provide for my girls' needs the best I can, I don't always remember to look to God for the best ways to raise them. These were good reminders for me! I am so blessed to have my healthy, happy girls and I was glad we could be a part of this dedication.

6 comments:

debi9kids said...

Congratulations on the dedication of your daughter!
Thank you for sharing such a blessed day with us! :)
XXOO Debi
ps Yep, we have a pig named Sarah. (I will answer this question on the side of my blog and put a link to a blog post i did about her for you)

Mum-me said...

Congratulations on baby Elliot's dedication. We have had all our children dedicated too, and those questions really do get you thinking don't they?

How sad that your husband couldn't be there. The military life is full of frustrations .... I know. At least you got some nice photos.

Flip-flop Mama said...

Bethany, you made me laugh when you said Elliott doesn't know to bow to her head :)

deatra said...

i love this! so sweet!

bcstark said...

I love the concept of the dedication - I think you're right, it's definitely more for the parents. Our church had one for Jackson and it was a very special moment for us - and a good reminder of what our biggest priority in raising him should be.

jennifer said...

How special for your family. And some great questions to think about and be reminded of!