Friday, February 4, 2011

Cowboy Breakfast

The rodeo is coming to town! Which is a pretty big deal in Texas. When I was growing up (in Fort Worth, TX) we had a school holiday every year called "Stock Show Day." I did not realize until I was an adult that this is not observed everywhere.
In San Antonio it's a tradition for schools to have a Cowboy Breakfast at the beginning of the rodeo season. Last year, I saw the flyer for this in Abbey's backpack and immediately disposed of it. This year, she can read much better, and was excited about going before I could get rid of it. So we got up early and went to the school around 6:45. Abbey (you know, the one who insisted that we attend this event?) woke up grumpy and never really snapped out of it.

In the school cafeteria, choosing between breakfast tacos or biscuits and gravy.


A sleepy cowgirl.

Elliott enjoyed her biscuit and seemed to like being in the big kid cafeteria.
I had brought my own coffee but apparently it hadn't kicked in yet.

After eating, we headed outside for some more "fun" with Abbey. She would not join the group doing the chicken dance, or participate in a stick horse race, so we stood in line for five minutes for her to throw a bean bag at some milk bottles. Just like they do on the ranch...? I think she may have smiled a tiny bit during this.

Check out that hat and those boots!

Then it was almost time for school to start- what a way to start the day. I was disappointed that Abbey was disappointed. Chad and I had to just try and laugh about how our family often tries to do things like this but just can't seem to have any fun. Oh well, at least the biscuits were good, and the girls looked cute in their light-up pink boots! (Thanks, Pappaw Bill!)

4 comments:

deatra said...

Yes, keep trying! I'll bet Abbey will tell other people about how much fun it was.

Flip-flop Mama said...

Nope. . .never heard of Stock Show Day or Cowboy Breakfast :) Our family outings don't always go great either. . .esp if we have tired kids!

jordan said...

I think it is hard to enjoy anything before 7am! I'm impressed with your willingness to try though. I'm also impressed with the light-up pink cowgirl boots! Some of Sophia's new friends here in the UK think she is an expert on cowgirls, which is really funny because she knows nothing about them at all. She could take a lesson from Abbey, it seems.

gardeniagirl said...

Yeah, Cowboy Breakfast. I also tried to make my daughter forget about it. But I'm glad we went. Elliot talked about it for days after.