This was actually just a "well baby" check (she will be 18 months next week) but I was concerned about her weight, and now her doctor is too. Her pediatrician in Japan was concerned at her 12 month check up back in May, but at that time she had not been eating solids well for very long, so I wanted to give it some time and see what effect that would have on her growth. (Also, her old doctor was not a nice person, and he didn't seem to like children, so I was not too worried about anything he had to say!) Anyway. Elliott weighed in at 19 pounds 6 ounces (8.8 kg). Her pediatrician was pleased with all other areas of her health and development, but since Elliott has completely stopped moving along her previous growth chart curve, she put in a consult to a nutritionist and ordered some labs to be done. So Elliott had blood drawn and urine taken (fortunately she did not have to have a catheter!). Today I heard back that nothing unusual was found in her labs- thank God! We will go back to the doctor in a month. I am not so worried anymore- she may just be small. Of course I will be glad to hear any suggestions the nutritionist has to offer, but it's a relief to have some "proof" things are okay. But what this girl lacks in size, she makes up for in personality...
And I think we are entering a new stage with Abbey- one where she asks questions we don't know how to answer! Yesterday I was doing her hair when she looked at me in the mirror and asked very seriously, "How does my voice come out when I talk?" Ummmmm..... I came up with an answer that made sense to her, but all the same, I think we will avoid anyone with a brand new baby for a while!
9 comments:
Glad to hear Elliott is healthy, just sweet and petite! Get ready to be told to slather everything with butter. That is what the doctors told Abbey and Sophia's friend from Japan, Olivia.
As far as Abbey goes, better hit the books! Sophia asks me questions daily that I think maybe I know, but boy do I have problems explaining it to her!
Ha, my kids just asked me on the way to church tonight, "We know they cut baby Trey out of your tummy, but how did WE get out of your tummy?" I said, "The doctors at the hospital helped you out." They kept asking more questions til I finally said they came out of my bottom. . Porter said he wants to see that!! I think my sister Steph finally hit 20 lb at 2 yrs, and she turned out normal :) Glad you got her checked and she's ok though!
Sounds like a good visit to me! :) Don't worry about the weight too much. Hannah was 18 pounds something at her 1 year appointment...I remember because I couldn't turn her car seat around yet...and then 19 something at her 15 month...and now she's a healthy 4.5 year old who says things to the Wal-Mart checker like "How come you have Christmas stuff...it was Halloween yesterday!" :)
Poor little Elliott - I am sympathising with you having to have blood tests! Glad everything is okay, though. You are going to be one of those petite girls I always envied when I was at school.
I think those growth charts can be more worrying than reassuring, and some of my children were off the top end of the scale which use to concern me a lot. Look at them now, though, and they are all about average except Ducky who is quite tall for her age.
Poor little Elliott - I am sympathising with you having to have blood tests! Glad everything is okay, though. You are going to be one of those petite girls I always envied when I was at school.
I think those growth charts can be more worrying than reassuring, and some of my children were off the top end of the scale which use to concern me a lot. Look at them now, though, and they are all about average except Ducky who is quite tall for her age.
Elliott doesn't look unhealthy or even skinny to me. She looks fine! Doctors always seem to go into panic mode when a child does not fall within the normal range. I wouldn't worry at all unless she has dark circles under her eyes or gets sick a lot. My sister's 2 year old is smaller than Georgia (15 months). Every baby is different!
Thank God Elliot is ok & healthy.
Just wanted to tell you that both Emma & Will are only 22lbs and they turn 25 months old today. I have skinny minnies too and they eat plenty.
You just have a teeny little cutie, just like I do :)
ps i posted a crock pot recipe tonight and will be posting some more this weekend.
My friend just had the same dilema with her 3rd son too. They ran multiple tests and he's just small and perfect in every way.
I am glad to hear that Elliot is too.
Not sure how I missed this post...but it looks like we are experiencing the same thing!! I hope we have a more clear understanding after our appointment with the specialist Aren't the blood draws terrible???
Post a Comment