Saturday, August 9, 2008

Howdy, y'all

Can you guess where we are? (Some of you already know, ssssh!) Here are some clues. There's only one place on earth where you will see: a lone star/lasso wall decoration...

a cowboy boot planter...
and a Lone Star flag bench.
We're in Texas, of course!
That's right, we have returned to our home state for good. (Or at least until the Air Force decides otherwise.) To say our first week here has been "busy" or "stressful" would be a major understatement, but things are settling down for the time being. The short version of the story is: we bought a car, Chad starts work Monday, and we have signed for a house on base but can't move into it for another month. Yes, a MONTH in a one bedroom temporary lodging apartment. But there were only two houses available for us to look at and the one we chose should be worth the wait for many reasons.
We have definitely been staying busy- learning our way around on and off base, dodging the CRAZY drivers on the roads, picking out cell phones, car shopping, car buying, etc. We try to remember to pace ourselves each day because there are two little girls here who get hot, cranky and tired of all the busy-ness very easily. In between errands we have been a different kind of busy at home, riding in pretend kayaks...




reading books... (which Elliott is suddenly much more interested in)

going to the playground wearing hats and lots of sunscreen...

unpacking...
and just relaxing.

We have even had some visitors already. My mom and stepdad, Les, came down over the weekend. It was so nice to see them- there's just nothing like having your Mom around, no matter how grown up or independent you are! Abbey especially enjoyed their visit and is looking forward to much more time with Nana that doesn't involve 13 hour flights or jet lag.

Abbey still smiles every time you mention her bright pink toenails, courtesy of Nana.


So glad to be together!

I am already missing a lot of things about Japan. But honestly, once we started the moving process, I really just wanted it to be over with. Of course we still have to move into our actual house, but I'm so relieved to be here, and be done with the never-ending "to do" list that comes with moving.

So that's what's happening here, and I hope to see some of you who live in this "neck of the woods" very soon!

8 comments:

jordan said...

Great pictures! Welcome back to mainland USA. I can't wait to see Texas for the first time when I come visit you. Don't worry, we'll give you awhile to get settled in.

jennifer said...

Yeah! Doesn't it feel great??

Mum-me said...

My mum would love that cowboy boot planter.

Moving is awful, and I also just want to get it over and done with. I hope your new house will really be worth the wait.

debi9kids said...

Welcome back! Wow! I bet the temps in Texas a quite a bit hotter than japan! HOLY!

Kristine said...

Yay! Bethany is back. We hope to see you sometime soon. San Antonio seems to be a more manageable road trip than a plan trip to Japan. Welcome back, y'all!

bcstark said...

Yee Haw! :)
Glad y'all are getting all settled in - and hope you find some time to fit some rest in there for yourself!

Amanda said...

Welcome back to Texas! I'm glad to see you guys made it safely!

Oh, and I was happy to see that you share our love of Mr. Izzard, we have all his standups on DVD (of course Dress to Kill was what got us hooked!)

"tea and cake or death!"

Shelly said...

Welcome home! Your timing is a bit unfortunate since it is the hottest part of the year, but we should have a day or two of Fall temps coming up soon. :-) You are right. There is nothing like having mom around-even when you are 30! I bet she is THRILLED to have you "home".