We are coming up on three weeks in temporary lodging (
TLF). We are getting a little bored. Abbey has been playing with the same few toys for a month now, but I'm not going to buy new toys because she has plenty of things packed up and on their way here. So this week we made our first trip to the local Airman's Attic. This is a "free store" on many Air Force bases where you can donate your things and also find some new exciting things, such as sort of strange looking Strawberry Shortcake dolls!
Abbey, "Strawberry Cake Maker," and Orange Blossom
Abbey loves them, as you can see. Here is Elliott with two of her favorite toys, the bath ducky and the bath mat, and her new pants (from Old Navy, not Airman's Attic) that have lots of fascinating buttons and zippers.
Do these pants make my bottom look big?
I know you are all thinking, if you're bored, why don't you just go outside? Well, I'll tell you why. IT'S REALLY HOT OUTSIDE. We actually do go outside at least twice a day but there's only so long these fair-skinned Newman girls can take the sun and heat. So we were all thrilled to discover the Lion Park on base. It has three playground areas aimed at different age groups, and it's almost completely shaded. Isn't that genius?
Elliott's tiny legs in the blue swing on the left.
Here's Elliott messing with the pants again. If she starts making a humming sound while swinging, we know she's getting sleepy and it's time to go!
Abbey has been so glad for any chance to play with other kids lately. She was sad in this picture because everyone else had left.I need some ideas. What are some inside activities we can do that don't take up much space or require many supplies?
7 comments:
Shaded play areas are ingenious. In fact, now I'm wondering why we don't see them more often in these hot southern climates! Anyway, we've linked to your blog from ours, so I felt it fair to give you our site!
LOL, I have no ideas to share, but I found a cute website that has some ideas (I don't have kids yet, so of course I don't know how doable they are!):
http://www.momscape.com/articles/indoor-activities-for-kids.htm
I love the shaded payground! As far as insde activities go... we struggle with that too. Maybe chalk or a dry erase board.
Playdough and bubbles are always fun. I struggle with inside stuff, too. Kennan loves to have dance parties...we just crank up the music and he gets his groove on. It's pretty cute (and Brayden usually joins in too!).
You've probably already done all these, but here they are just in case there may be one you haven't thought of yet -
*empty food boxes to either play 'shops' (make some 'money' with scrap paper) or use for construction activities.
*playdough can be made very cheaply and, if you store it in the fridge, it will last for months.
*Blowing bubbles can keep babies occupied for a long time (They watch you blow the bubbles, obviously they don't actually blow them.)
*Balloons are also a favourite here.
*Making cubbies with sheets and towels draped over chairs
*Washing dishes - use pastic dishes and lots of cold bubbly water (also good for an outdoor activity in the hot weather, as long as you've got some shade.)
*Washing dollies - plastic dollies also like getting a bubble bath.
*Making houses for dollies out of books and cushions
*Putting on a play with teddy bears
*Singing and dancing along to favourite nursery rhymes (which can also be used for putting on a play)
*When it's really hot we play in the bathtub - again lots of bubbles are necessary.
Hope that helos a bit. Good luck! I know what it's like trying to keep children occupied inside when it's so hot outside.
I LOVE the hadedplaygrounds! How awesome!
How about edible playdough?
I did a blog post a while back on it...
http://bouffard11.blogspot.com/2008/03/edible-playdough.html
Well, both of my girls like to take all the pillows off of the sofas and climb on them or make a castle out of them.
They also like taking a cool bath in the middle of the day if we've gone outside and its really hot. Blowing bubbles in the tub adds to the fun.
Sophia thinks makeup is cool right now, so we do nail polish or lipstick (Shh...she doesn't know its really chapstick!).
Also, she loves to cut up paper or ribbon or string and then glue it together into a masterpiece.
Post a Comment