For our last trip to the beach, we drove to
Kailua Beach Park and set up camp. Our handy dandy play tent gave us a little extra shade and protection from the wind.
Chad uses his sandal to hammer in the stake.
With home base set up, Chad and Abbey picked up their rental kayak and put on their life jackets. Abbey had been asking to ride in a kayak all week, which is strange considering she wouldn't even put her toes in the edge of the water. But Chad was excited to take her to do something different. I admit I was nervous, especially when I saw how windy it was. Even with a life jacket on, I'm pretty sure Abbey would be completely helpless if she fell out. But they paddled around close to the shore for a while and Chad assured me he was not having any problems.
Um, Daddy? I think you're supposed to get in the boat with me.
Ready to row!
The cute view from the back, and the little island in the distance
We're getting closer...
That's another way to get to the island
They made their way out to a little island and got out to explore. Unfortunately, their shoes were in the kayak and the island was made of very sharp, pointy rocks, so they didn't get to look around too much. At one point, Chad couldn't reach Abbey to help her so a nice Japanese woman who was walking there with her husband picked Abbey up! I think she also took the picture below for them. All too soon, their half day rental was up and it was nice to leave the ever more crowded Kailua Beach. Chad and Abbey got to make a fun memory together and we hope Abbey will remember that she can be in the water and not be afraid!
We made it! Chad gives kayaking a thumb's up.
9 comments:
Looks like you guys are having so much fun! Lake Granbury will be a bit of a letdown after that:)
What an adventurer Abbey is! What an experience to share with her dad! It looks like she had such a fun time.
I can't believe you guys brought your tent with you on vacation! But it looks like it was perfect for the beach. Way to go Abbey for riding in the kayak!
What a brave little girl to paddle in a kayak to an island. I was shuddering thinking about all that deep water underneath them (I hate boats!). Lovely they got to spend some 'quailty' time.
How did mum cope for half a day on the beach with a baby? That bit doesn't sound like too much fun, unless Elliot slept in the tent?
Of course we brought the tent! It folds up into a bag about the size of a pizza and hardly weighs anything. And you just shake the sand out of it. It's great!
Elliott and I played in the sand for a while, then played in the tent, then walked a ways to a market to get lunch (she was in the backpack carrier), then hung out in the tent some more. Not very exciting but not bad. She was content for a long time to just take everything in/out of the beach bag and put handfuls of sand in/out of the tent but was definitely ready to go by the end of the day. I don't think she was even buckled up in the car before she was asleep!
Way to go Abbey for trying something new!
I've been behind on checking (and commenting) on blogs, so let me start from the beginning: I'm glad Chico made it safely. That was probably pretty traumatic for him (or is it her?). Anyway, HOW FUN THAT YOU WENT TO HAWAII!!! Those pictures are awesome. I get what you are saying about vacationing with children. We haven't taken Avery with us yet, but that will certainly happen in the coming years. The kayaking picture with Abbey turned around and the island in the back is priceless!
I love that picture with Abbey in the Kayak! Glad to see that ya'll had a good time.
Gorgeous pictures! Looks like such a great time!!!
Post a Comment