Thursday, July 10, 2008

Back to Tokyo Disneyland

Even though Chad and I have enjoyed Abbey's endless re-enactments of the shows and parades she saw during our first trip to Tokyo Disneyland, we decided we needed to see the real thing again before moving to Texas (nowhere near any Disney theme parks).
This time I was prepared- I not only checked out all the attractions online, but even made a plan of attack so we could be sure and ride some of the things we had to miss last time because they were so crowded. I knew what time the parades started and brought a tarp to sit on. (This is a big deal in Japan. You can stake out your parade watching spot one hour before it starts, and at exactly 3:00, people just whip out their tarps and set up camp for the 4:00 parade. Do they do this in America?) I had snacks and sunscreen and changes of clothes in the car. I had driving directions and information on tolls and parking. Despite the girls waking up at 5:00, WE WERE READY. So, of course that meant...


... that it was pouring rain.
It was raining so hard we could hardly see the signs on the expressway while driving to the park, and I was afraid we might go right off the side of the Rainbow Bridge! But I knew Abbey would be heartbroken if we didn't go after talking about it so much, and there really wasn't another day we could come back. So we got out our umbrellas and followed the Japanese families in. And lo and behold...

It stopped raining! This place really IS the magic kingdom!

We walked into the park right when it opened and enjoyed an action packed morning. Abbey was not scared of anything- she even rode Space Mountain.


Elliott loved the carousel... almost as much as Abbey.

Crazy tea cup driver!

Chad was so excited to get Abbey up close to meet some of the characters. It's funny because neither of us would normally care anything about Disneyland (though there were many young, child-free couples there) but we both had a lot of fun too.

Abbey was SO HAPPY!

Anytime she pretends we are all Disney characters, she is always Minnie Mouse.


I am usually Daisy Duck, so of course I had to meet her.


Abbey gave Donald a high five.

Elliott was less than thrilled about meeting Clarabelle.

"You don't need a map, Mom, I know where to go!"
All Elliott wanted to do was walk... usually the opposite direction from the rest of us.

Last time we visited the castle was under construction. Isn't it pretty now? If you look closely there is a very tiny Minnie singing in Japanese right under the 25.
Buzz Lightyear and Jessie in the Jubilation parade. See the umbrellas?
While we were sitting on our handy-dandy tarp waiting for the parade, it started to rain again. We did our best with our two umbrellas, but were all soaked by the time it was over. Since we had already been on so many rides and seen two parades, we called it a day and headed back to the hotel. I was just so thankful that we made it through the day safely, having fun was just a bonus!

Good-bye Tokyo Disneyland!

Happy 25th Birthday and thanks for the memories.

8 comments:

Koinerfamily said...

Those are some great pictures! It looks like y'all had a lot of fun. Emma is terrified by anything in a costume (Rob and I were too when we were little), so I hope by the time she's Abbey's age she won't be so scared.
What date is it that y'all leave? I know it's coming up quickly.

jordan said...

Looks like you had a great time. I'm glad it was a better experience for you and Chad the second time around!

My Dad says it never rains on a golf course...guess its the same thing at Disneyland! Of course, the rule is, you aren't allowed to say anything if it actually does rain.

Anonymous said...

We LOVE Tokyo Disney too!

Did you say Abbey rode Space Mountain? Way to go! (I'm too chicken to go on that ride!) Heck, I don't do the Toon Town roller coaster either.

I'm so glad to hear you had fun! I can't believe they woke up so early either----they must have been excited!

bcstark said...

Looks like a fun trip! Abbey is going to have so many great memories from her time in Japan.

Jen said...

I'm glad you guys got to go back to Disneyland one more time. Very impressive that Abbey road Space Mountain...that one traumatized me as a kid and I still won't go on it. *grin*

Mum-me said...

Looks like a good day was had despite the rain. You sound very organized. Looking at the photos brought back happy memories of when my parents took me to the original Disneyland when I was 9! I loved ALL the rides too.

We went to a children's fun day while we were away, and Teddy was scared stiff of the big frog character. It spoiled her (and consequently our) day.

Bethany said...

The reason they woke up at 5 was that Elliott almost always wakes up at 5. But when we are at home, she falls right back to sleep. But all being in the same room and not her crib, she made a lot of noise and woke Abbey, then no one could go back to sleep. Then of course they slept in the car on the way there, but Chad and I had to just be tired!I too was surprised that Abbey rode everything, including Space Mountain. This is the kid that still won't put her whole face in the water and is too nervous to talk to almost anyone. Maybe she doesn't get that the rides are supposed to be scary!

debi9kids said...

Ahhhh raining in Disney??? LOL Just like as if you were in Florida! I swear it rains there every day atleast 5 or 6 times a day. LOL