Sunday, July 13, 2008

Chad Versus the Volcano

Ah, majestic Mount Fuji. (photo from here)


On Saturday Chad climbed Mt. Fuji, also known as Fuji-san. We know lots of Americans who have done it, but surprisingly, most of our Japanese friends have not! Maybe because...

they know it is big.




Chad left on a bus from the base with about 20 other people at 2:30 am. (Yes, I did say that Chad went somewhere at 2:30 am on a Saturday.) The bus took them to the 5th Station on the Kawaguchi-ko line, altitude 2305 meters/7562 feet, where they began climbing around 5:00.





Some of the trails were more rocky than others. At each station there was a hut where you could buy water (for $5) or Kit Kats (for $2) and get your walking stick stamped.






The view from the top! Only 7 hours and twenty minutes later.



Altitude 3776 m/12,388 ft






"Please take my picture so I can sit down after climbing this never ending mountain."


This is the bottom of the crater that is at the top of Mt. Fuji.

The beginning of the end... start your 3 hour descent here!


Chad had just sent me a text message that said, "my dogs are barkin." :0)



Fuji-kyu Highlands amusement park, seen from the bus on the Chuo Expressway. See Fuji-san in the background? Because that's what you feel like doing after climbing the second largest free-standing mountain in the world, is riding roller coasters.


I am really proud of Chad for doing this, though I admit I selfishly sort of wanted him to stay home with us on Saturday. Fortunately, he ignored my whining and went anyway. Now he can say he did it!

10 comments:

jordan said...

Way to go Chad! I lived in Japan a total of 7 years and never climbed it! But you know the saying that if you don't climb Fuji-san, you are destined to return to Japan! So Bethany, you and I are going back!

Dara said...

Why didn't you and the girls go? :)

deatra said...

Fantastic! Way to go, Chad! We are SO proud of you. Great accomplishment and great pictures! Deatra and Les

bcstark said...

Wow, that is amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for Chad!

Do you know that I have not climbed Fujii yet? Maybe that's why we have returned to Japan 3 times! :)

I am THINKING about climbing it. I KINDA want to.....

I did take the kids last year and we hiked up to the 6th station. (I was pregnant with Mason) Mattea was a few days shy of being 2.....but we made it. I bought the kids their sticks and everything. However, they do not give stamps until the 7th station. (yes, they were really disappointed)

Really? 7 hours? Brett has done Fujii many times. He even ran a race once which started at the village at the base of the mountain. Crazy, he is!

Flip-flop Mama said...

I'm impressed, and I have the same question as Dara. . .why didn't you and the girls go?! :)Emily

Amanda said...

Wow, that's awesome! Tell him someone he's never met says way to go! ;)

Mum-me said...

I really enjoyed reading that post - the photos were great and gave a real sense of how big that mountain is.

It's hard to be happy about your husband going somewhere unnecessary when he has to go away so much for work, isn't it? I know just what you mean.

Bethany said...

Yes, Jennifer, I would have to agree that anyone who races up Mt. Fuji is crazy. :0) Seven hours is not bad for a novice mountain climber going on 4 hours of sleep!

debi9kids said...

WOW! That is really impressive (and scary!) I hate heights! LOL
But, you only live once, right?