Whether or not I was ready, Elliott was ready to be in pre-kindergarten this year. It was not an easy decision for me and Chad. Abbey did not go to pre-K through the school when she was 4 years old. At that elementary school, she would have been there all day and we felt that was too long. Now that we are in a different school district, Elliott had the opportunity to go to pre-K every day for 3 hours. But was she ready for that? Was I?! Ultimately we decided it was worth a try. It is not mandatory so if we get to a point where it's not working, she doesn't have to do it, and I am confident she would still be more than ready for kindergarten next year. We went to meet the teacher a few days before school started, and this did not help my nervousness! Since her teacher has a morning and an afternoon class, there were so many parents and kids in the classroom and I didn't feel like I got to talk to her teacher as much as I would have liked. At meet the teacher, we got our first homework "activity," which I guess is supposed to be more fun than a homework "assignment." Each child was to bring in a picture of them doing something to be "Ready for Pre-K." Elliott chose putting her daily snack in her backpack.

So proud of herself. Also excited that there will be snacks at school!
Here is the big girl on the way to school. It doesn't seem right that someone still buckled into such a big car seat could be so independent!
And when I picked her up and asked, "How was your first day at school?" She answered:
"Great!"
Now, not everything that been "Great!" in the afternoons after school. Even after lunch and some rest time, she has been having major meltdowns every day this week. Of course they get worse right when Abbey gets home from school. So we are working on that. But I am really proud of Elliott for being so brave going to school, and being a good student in the classroom. She is already teaching me the songs they are learning and knows several of her friends' names. I'm excited to see what else she learns in pre-K!
1 comment:
Elliot looks very confident and happy!
I agree - someone who still needs t be buckled into a child car restraint with a five point safety harness surely can't be ready for pre-school, or even school! I know I think the same thing every morning when I buckle up Kitcat.
And thank you for sharing about the meltdowns. It is good to know another mum has to deal with that too and it's not just my child that turns feral nearly every day at about 4pm.
Post a Comment