NASA Schmasa, I want to climb and slide and have fun!
So we let them play in the playground in between other exhibits.
Space walk time!
The Girls on the Go contemplate taking the Lunar Rover for a spin.
Touching a real moon rock!
In the mock shuttle cockpit, amazed by all the buttons and switches!
A funny picture from inside the mock shuttle. Enlarge it to see the tiny label.
Back to the playground for a bit.
Since we decided not to take the 1.5 hour tram tour, we thought we would have to miss out on seeing the actual Saturn V rocket, but then found out we could drive to the "Rocket Park" next door. From the outside it just looks like a big barn but inside...
There is a HUGE ROCKET!
Wow.
I think that this is the actual (but restored) rocket that blasted off many of the shuttles. (I could be wrong, this was the last stop of the day and the girls were tired and whiny.) There was information along the wall about all of the Apollo missions. There were more than just Apollo 11 (We're on the moon!) and Apollo 13. (Houston, we have a problem.)
Abbey meets Astronaut Chad! (photo by Elliott)
Overall it was a fun outing, though not what any of us were expecting. Chad and I read and learned a lot. The girls got to see astronaut suits, a rocket, a demonstration of life in the space shuttle... and play on the playground. And now we can check that one off of our list of "Texas Tourist Locations."
4 comments:
Looks like you all had fun. When we went a couple of years ago we also decided the boys would not hold up well on that long tram ride (seriously, where's the kiddie ride?) but I had no idea you could drive over to see the rocket. Now we will have to go back!
Oh, and I really don't know how they expect the kids to learn anything when they throw a HUGE playground at them as soon as they walk in. The whole time they just wanted to go back and play. Space cannot compare to a slide apparently.
Yes! The playground! That was all that mattered to my kids. And they also enjoyed running away from me and Joe.
Is there a way to avoid the playground before you want to let the kids play there? I was a little irritated with the aquarium, too, because the kids saw the splash park as soon as we got there. Then it didn't matter how high the dolphins jumped ... they wanted to go to the splash park. But if they hadn't seen it first I think they would have enjoyed the rest of the aquarium more. Grr.
Nope, you see the playground the second you walk in the door. :P If you ever want to go to the TX state aquarium again, just go in the winter- no splash park! (We went in February and it wasn't even crowded.)
Post a Comment