Tuesday, February 24, 2009

She shoots- she scores!

Remember how last month I said I was looking forward to learning how to play basketball along with Abbey? Well, it didn't happen. For various reasons, I only went to her first and last sessions of First Steps basketball, and I still know nothing about the sport. Good thing Abbey is here to teach me! She showed me how to shoot a basket- and made several! It was great to see her keep trying when she didn't make the first one, instead of giving up. Her dribbling has also improved (that's a tough one for little kids) and she demonstrated different passes for me. The highlight of the morning was watching a "game" between the kids and parents. It was so funny!

Look at that! Nothing but net!!!



Abbey, do you like basketball?


Elliott closely keeps score.
(She was getting tired by the end, most of the time she just ran onto the court chasing Abbey.)
Abbey and the awesome Coach Juan.


Go First Steps!

Activities like this can be hard for Abbey. She doesn't like to have all eyes on her, and sometimes she gets grumpy with Mommy or Daddy and doesn't want to participate. Fortunately, she really likes and respects Coach Juan and will do her best for him. He is so calm and patient and encouraging. It was exciting to see what Abbey has learned- I hope she'll want to keep playing so I can catch up!

2 comments:

Mum-me said...

I am always amazed at how much my child(ren) will do for a teacher or coach or grandparent when I couldn't convince them to even to try!

I had to laugh about Elliot chasing Abbey out onto the court. Ducky did that one year when Dragon was playing sport - kept trying to 'help' him get the ball.

You know, I think Mousie would like to 'write' to Abbey. If you want to encourge a correspondence between them, send me an email (I would have emailed you, but our computer crashed a while ago and we lost nearly everything, including email addresses.)

bcstark said...

Look at that future basketball star! Glad she had a good experience with it, and Elliott looks like a loyal fan. :)