Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Beginning of the End (of being 4)

Look! A blog post with pictures, and no whining from me! :0)
This weekend we kicked off Abbey's 5th Birthday with a family party at Nana's house. I was so happy to celebrate with family- my mom and Les came to Abbey's first birthday party in Nebraska, but this was the first opportunity to involve other family members. Thanks to all of you who came over! First, a road trip story. As usual, Abbey whined most of the drive to Nana's house. Even though she has flown literally around the world with barely a complaint, she just does not like riding in the car for very long. We have started using our portable DVD player on these long trips, but even that didn't seem to help. At one point, I actually heard myself saying, "You know, when I was a kid, we didn't even have DVD players in the car!" It didn't help. Maybe next time I will tell her when I was a kid we had to walk uphill in the snow to get to Nana's house.
On to the birthday party.

The cake...


...and the cupcakes. FYI, purple frosting does not come out like you think it will.


My (almost) 5 Year Old!

I know this is about Abbey's birthday, but these pictures of Elliott (taken by Les) were too funny not to share. Besides, what are sisters for, but to steal the spotlight?! (I am pretty sure Abbey was happy to have everyone looking at someone other than her. It is tough for her to have all that attention from so many people.)
Hmmm. What is this "cake" you speak of?


I guess it won't hurt to try a bite.


WOW! THAT'S GOOD!

I give it a thumbs up!

Ice cream so good... no time for a spoon...

Okay, back to the birthday girl. Here she is with my Aunt Teresa, my mom's sister, who was also celebrating a big birthday. I won't tell you which one. We got to have her favorite, cherry pie, in addition to the cake and ice cream!

Happy birthday, girls!

Then of course we opened some presents. Abbey got some cute clothes, a fun game, $5 (she can't wait to spend it!) and a Luke Skywalker toy, from Uncle Luke, of course.


Pointing at Uncle Luke in response to the question, "Who would be silly enough to wrap your present in toilet paper?!"


It was a nice afternoon, and even though Abbey was very quiet and shy while everyone was there, she was happy and talked about it all day after everyone left. I can't believe soon she really will be 5!

6 comments:

Mum-me said...

Looks like a fun party. So nice to celebrate with family. The photo story of Elliot & cake was funny.

Happy birthday Abbey!

Flip-flop Mama said...

I just used the "when I was a kid" comment the other day too :) Adorable pics of Elliott, and glad you got to celebrate with family! What a fun uncle :)

Heather said...

Happy Almost Birthday, Abbey! Five seems SO old...not that I needed to tell you that...but hang onto you hat mom and dad, five was, well a good time to practice your patience! Stock up on the chocolate!

debi9kids said...

Wow! 5 years old! She's so grown up! (have I really been reading your blog this long??? Elliot was a TEENY baby..way back when!)

LOVE the heart shaped cake and the cupcakes look so yummy!

jordan said...

What a great looking party and I loved the pictures. Abbey pointing out her Uncle Luke as the silly one was so funny and cute.

Elliott's pics were great too. Had she really not had cake before? Or did she just not remember it? She really did look skepticle about it.

jennifer said...

What a great party!

And about the whining post...I think we all have those days and weeks and just need to get it out! Glad things are better!