Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day of Preschool!

Ever since Elliott saw how much fun Abbey had in kindergarten last year, she has wanted to go too. I looked into a few preschool options for her last year but it wasn't the right time. By the end of this summer, she had promoted herself to "I want to go to second grade" and we knew it was time for her to go to preschool!
She was so excited to finally start this week. She took everything in and out of her backpack until she was satisfied, taste-tested the contents of her lunch box, put on her snazzy shoes and off we went!

She was saying "First day of school, first day of school!" like Nemo.
(Thanks for the cool backpack, Gran-San!)

On the ride over, I became more and more anxious. I do not like to be far away from my kids- if something happens I want to be there right away! This school is a little farther than I would have chosen, but there are not many options close to our house. I tried to keep my nerves to myself, but Elliott got more quiet and serious too. However, she was ready to get out of the car as soon as we got there, and start pulling her backpack!


"Elliott, do you want me to hold your lunch box?"
"Um, no thank you, I carry it."

Look at those pigtails!

She went right in to her class and neither of us cried. She was still quiet and serious when I left but was in a good mood when I returned. Her teacher said she had a good day and Elliott was full of stories to tell me (over and over and over). I also had a good day, or at least a very busy one, and the few hours until pick up time flew by. I hope she continues to like her preschool, because I am definitely not ready for her to go to second grade!

Elliott was a little disappointed that the following day was not a school day for her. She got over it by making some cookies with me in the kitchen, and whipping up some birthday cakes in the sand box.

Hard at work.

It still doesn't seem possible that she is old enough to go to anything called "school" but I am excited for her and proud of her. I love you Elliott!

4 comments:

Heather said...

12tamaleWowza, Bethany...your girls are growing up! LOVE the ponytails! Hope everyone has a great year!

Janet said...

She is so big now and I love the pig tails!! I know it's sad for you now but it's great that she is so happy about going to school. I would hate to have to deal with forcing an unhappy child to go. Both of mine have been going to 'school' (daycare) since before they can remember which has it's pros and cons. Anyway, happy schooling!

Mum-me said...

Good on you Elliot! That's great that you like pre-school. Hope you enjoy a bit of breathing space, Bethany. We love our children but it sure is nice to have a little time to ourselves every now and then.

Heather said...

Uh, it looks as if I am speaking gibberish on my earlier comment! Don't know what happened there...maybe that can be my new catch phrase, kind of like batman and robin, didn't they have stupid sayings like that!? Anyway...