Monday, June 28, 2010

Popeye the Seal and more

I promise I am almost done posting about my trip to Washington, and I will return to your regularly scheduled cute kid posts soon, but I will forget a lot of things if I don't blog about it.

After our whale watching trip we spent the night in the town of Friday Harbor, on San Juan Island. It is a cute little town, with lots of Bed and Breakfasts (we stayed in one for the first time), restaurants and small shops. It was a nice break in between days of seeing busy Seattle.

It was Chad's birthday- really nice to spend it together this year!

I am Chad, Captain of the Marina!


Totem pole/statue thingy representing the food chain. I think.


A classic cab in front of an older building facing the water.

On our whale watching tour, our Marine Biologist Barbie naturalist guide informed us that it is illegal to feed wild marine animals, of course to protect them, but that the town of Friday Harbor makes an exception in the case of Popeye. Popeye is a harbor seal who is blind in one eye. She has figured out that if she hangs out near the fish market on the pier, people will feed her! She is pretty spoiled, apparently, because if you are just there to look at her, or if you take too long with the fish, she will splash you! The town even has a statue of their beloved seal friend.



We didn't see Popeye the first time we looked for her, but we did find her statue.



Chad giving Popeye some "sushi" for breakfast.




My turn. Guess I wasn't moving fast enough, she tried to splash me!



I am so full. You can go now.


After feeding Popeye and buying a fridge magnet for Chad's collection, we took the ferry back to the mainland and drove back to Seattle. We went out to dinner for Chad's birthday and called it a night!

1 comment:

jordan said...

Your trip looks great! I am glad that you both had such a good time and you survived without your children for 5 whole days!!!