Monday, March 1, 2010

Six years of memories

I'm not sure what is harder for me to believe: That Abbey was born on Leap Year, that she is now SIX YEARS OLD, or that this is her third birthday I have blogged about. Yes, for those of you who haven't read the story of her dramatic entrance to this world on February 29, 2004, you can go here.
Isn't it funny the things you remember about the day your kids are born? Other than what a shock to my system it was to deliver a baby, of course. I remember that the Oscars were on that night, and that Chad slept in a chair in my hospital room, and that his First Sergeant brought us Burger King for dinner. I remember realizing too-late that I didn't like the outfit I brought for her to wear home from the hospital, and that our new bedroom furniture was delivered that day. I remember being worried sick because she had jaundice and was so sleepy I could hardly wake her to eat, and never wanting to put her down, and rubbing my cheek on her fluffy light brown hair. Sniff! My baby is really a big kid now!
Since Abbey didn't have her official Leap Year birthday this year, we celebrated on both Feb. 28 and March 1. I had told her she could pick a place for us to go out to eat on her birthday, and she said, without hesitation, "Dunkin Donuts." (Disclaimer: we do not go there often!) I told her that was fine if that's what she really wanted, but we were not going to have another sweet treat at home. Somehow this led to the decision of a donut cake. I will now share with you the recipe for a donut cake.
1) Go to Shipley Donuts because it is better than DD.
2) Choose enough donuts for everyone to have one or two, and make sure some of them have sprinkles.
3) Stack them on a plate and stick candles in the top one.
4) Serve with cold milk.

The festive spread.


See? Donut cake!



She was happy and that's all that mattered.


Like father, like daughter.



Explosion of presents! Abbey liked her horses, complete with barrels for her own rodeo.


Opening her present from Nana and Les while talking to them on the webcam.


She chose pizza for her birthday dinner, and I chose broccoli to make up for the donuts.


It was a fun and relaxing celebration at home. The next day we brought some treats for her classmates at the end of the day. I am glad her school still allows celebrations like this for kindergartners! It was fun. (Well, up until the sugar got to Elliott's brain, but that is another story.)
The Birthday Queen (a little tired of being photographed) and her sister, who constantly reminds us that her birthday is next!
Happy sixth birthday, Abbey!
I love you!

3 comments:

Mum-me said...

Happy belated birthday Abbey. I like your doughnut cake. HB had to have a doughnut cake for his 40th last year because .... well I blogged about it last Sept.

My mum was born on 29th Feb. She will celebrate her 16th birthday in 2012.

Kristine said...

Happy Birthday Abbey!!!!! It looks like you guys are creating some great birthday celebration traditions.

jordan said...

I love all the different celebrations. The donut cake is great. So is Abbey's "stop taking my picture, Mom" epression.

I cant believe she is six! And that I haven't seen her in almost four years!!! It really doesn't feel like that long.