Sunday, March 7, 2010

Party Time!!!

We had such a fun time celebrating Abbey's birthday with her friends! So much fun that I think I can only handle that much birthday party fun every other year. ;0) She asked for a Littlest Pet Shop party. We have not done much in the way of theme parties before, but this one was easy (and inexpensive) enough even for party-planning-impaired me.
First, we decorated little boxes to be houses for each girl's new pet. (Thank you, Walmart, for having an 8 pack of the pets on sale right when I needed them!)

Abbey couldn't wait to get into the sparkles and pom-poms.

The pets that were up for adoption (after Abbey claimed one of the cats and Elliott grabbed a parrot).

Chad helps Abbey put some finishing touches on her Cat House.



Then it was time for cake! Abbey told me since she was turning six, a very grown-up age you know, she wanted a "real cake" and not cupcakes. This is my first ever double layer cake- chocolate with cream cheese frosting. I decided to play it safe with the decorating part, but we were all pleased with how it came out.

Just cut it, Mom!



Yummy.

Then we played a musical chairs game with lily pads. The idea was for them to frog hop between lily pads until the music stopped, but these girls were being so good- almost too good! The first round they all walked so calmly, but by the end they figured it out and got loud and silly. Everyone who got "out" got a candy necklace.

Elliott is right in the middle of things.

Abbey was excited about the presents from her friends. Here is a My Little Pony with different hair styles- what will they think of next?!- next to Abbey's completed cat house.


And having friends over is great, but the best part of all? Fighting over your new toys with your sister, of course!

Just kidding. Both girls were so sweet to each other and to Abbey's friends. That was my favorite part of the party- watching all the girls interact. Only three girls of the six we invited came, and Abbey was a little disappointed, but everyone had a good time together. (On a side note, what do people not understand about RSVP? Two of the guests' moms never even responded to the invitation. I think next party invitation I make is going to say, "Don't be extremely rude. Call me back and say whether or not you are coming so that my child is not sad on her special day." Maybe that would be easier to understand.)
It was fun and I am so thankful for a beautiful girl to celebrate!

4 comments:

Mum-me said...

That looked like such a fantastic party! I like the theme ... Mousie and Teddy would have been into that!!
The cake looked very yummy.

I can truly sympathise with the RSVP woes. We have that problem every time we host a birthday party. I like your wording idea for the next invitation.

bcstark said...

The cake looked (& sounds like it tasted) great! I love your idea for the activity with the pet boxes, too.

deatra said...

The picture of the girls sitting on the piano bench with the presents behind them is absolutely precious! That is one we will treasure from now on. Looks as though Abbey has been thoroughly celebrated now! Yea for birthdays!

jordan said...

The party looked great! I also can't stand non-RSVPers. I may borrow your wording for Sophia's upcoming party. I also marvel at your restraint! I am just as bad as a kid when it comes to wanting more party! We may be inviting 30 kids and having endless games, activities, decorations, food, etc. But I look at your party and it seemed perfect, and not too crazy. I could take a lesson from you.