Friday, December 30, 2011

A Very Merry Christmas!

Did everyone have a merry Christmas? Ours was great, but I am awfully ready to move on to the New Year! But before I do that, I want to remember this Christmas.
On Christmas Eve, Abbey was very concerned that we might forget to leave out a snack for Santa and asked about it several times. She had decided he would like something other than just cookies, so we left him some of our family's favorite- pumpkin bread. They explained this to Santa in the note they left him and we all signed it...

... even Chad.

The girls went to bed excited about the next day. They awoke in the morning to discover that Santa had not only brought presents, but also their Nana, Les and Uncle Luke! And seriously, lots of presents!

Elliott surveys the room.

We got right down to the business of opening all the gifts. Santa brought Abbey a scooter, Elliott a bike and both of the girls a large art easel. Some of their other fun presents included a Mulan costume for Abbey, a pink and purple tutu for Elliott, a Pinkalicious board game, and some "fancy" Littlest Pet Shop pets to share. Having extra people there meant extra gifts to open all at once! I got Chad a coffee grinder and he got me a bamboo plant, which I love, and you can see at the bottom of this picture:

Abbey, Uncle Luke and Nana compare stocking loot.

Mulan and Ballerina Elliott 
(E is also wearing her new nightgown. She wore both items all day!)

The girls' present from Luke: pens, post-it notes, and Christmas lights!

Demonstrating one use of the easel- I managed to hold them off until the next day to try painting.

Trying out the remote control car from Pappaw Bill

On her bike, with her new butterfly pillow pet.

Taking the scooter for a test ride!

As for me, it was a great day, but I spent a LOT of it in the kitchen. For breakfast we had homemade cinnamon rolls, pumpkin bread and bacon (expertly fried up by my brother). Then we had, as Elliott put it, "a feast" of ham, chicken, mashed potatoes and more in the late afternoon. We made room for chips and guacamole and other snacks in between.

Part of "the feast." Maybe I should have asked Santa for matching oven mitts.

One of Abbey's gifts to Nana was playing one of her favorite Christmas songs, "Come O Come Emmanuel" on the piano, as a duet with me. She did a great job!


The girls ended the day by watching "Rio"with everyone. They had such a great day that they were sad it was over. I was a little sad too! It was great to watch them have so much fun opening and playing with their new things, and being excited to give Nana, Les and Luke the gifts they had made for them. It was a win-win situation for us- we got to stay at home for Christmas, and still be with family! I hope all you also had a great day of family, friends, fun and food, whether or not it was on December 25.
Now that that's done... Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Janet said...

It looks like a lovely day to me! I especially like to Mulan outfit; she is one of my favorite Disney girls. :-) Happy New Year, Newmans!

debi10kids said...

It looks like you had a wonderful holiday!

That is one of my favorite Christmas songs as well. Thoroughly impressed that your daughter can play it .

hope you have a wonderful New Year!

jordan said...

What a lovely Christmas! I wish you had more time to relax though. Now I want to see Abbey playing piano, too. Any videos?