Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Good-bye, Old Friend

Warning: If your children are younger than mine, or if you plan to have more children, you might think I am crazy when you read this post. You have been warned! 
Last week, I said good-bye to a dear old friend. We had been close friends for almost four years. We met in Japan and went many places together there, including a flight to Texas with a 3 year old and a baby. This friend went with me to Hawaii and has been here in Texas with me. My friend always helps me when my kids are tired or moving too slow, and is always glad to carry things for me. Of course I am talking about... my stroller. (Remember you were warned about the crazy factor!) Yes, last week, I gave my Joovy Caboose sit-and-stand stroller to a friend. My girls have outgrown it and I don't have any plans to need it again. In fact, the last time we used it, during a visit to Sea World, it turned into a fight over the stroller. Abbey is too big to ride on it, but we let her sit on the back seat when she needs a break. And by the end of our day, she was wiped out and we just wanted to get to the car quickly. So I said she could sit on the back seat just this once and could Elliott please just sit up front and let's go? NOOOO! THAT'S FOR BABIES!!! I WANNA SIT ON THE BACK! AAAAAAH! She actually walked all the way to the car rather than face the indignity of riding on the front seat. Abbey was oblivious to this insanity and just enjoyed the ride. Come to think of it, Elliott has never been a huge fan of the stroller... 

 Trying to escape, at 14 months old. 


 Very upset, on her 2nd birthday.


Happy on the stroller, but only because she got the coveted back seat. Her friend Tessa seems okay with it. (Tessa's mom has the same stroller in orange.)

All kidding aside, it really has been a great stroller and made my life as a mom of two so much easier. I remember being so excited when I finally received it in the mail when we lived in Japan (after a mix up with my order and the long wait while it crossed the ocean). I could go places without carrying anyone! Elliott didn't instantly start screaming, because she could see things! Abbey fit on the back! And it had a cup holder! :0) I am happy to give it to my friend because she is definitely going to need it in a couple of months. But I am sad too because it means that my girls are out of that stage now. We do still have a single stroller to use for Elliott on occasion, but they aren't both still little, and they never will be again. Boo hoo. This is sort of like when I was fine with Abbey starting first grade, but then crying a week later because she lost one of her top teeth and she would never have that perfect little girl smile again. If you are a mom, you understand, or you will soon! So here are my growing girls saying good-bye to their friend The Green Stroller. 



4 comments:

deatra said...

What a tribute to your truly reliable "friend"!

Mum-me said...

Believe me, I do truly understand how you feel.

We got rid of our stroller for good when we left Canberra, and it was certainly like fare-welling a great old friend.

Janet said...

What a cute story. Now I feel bad for not having so many nice things to say about our stroller. It just sits in the garage collecting dust.

jordan said...

Oh! Goodbye dear green stroller! I will not give up my orange one yet. We use it daily for our walk to school (over a mile each way)...but I insist that Tessa ride in the back and do not allow Sophia to ride at all. I wonder if it looks crazy to have an empty seat in the front, but then realize I don't have to carry bags (or Tessa) so I don't mind if it looks crazy!

I am glad that you memorialized the pushchair (Sophia does not allow me to use the word stroller anymore!) in such a way and I completely understand the sentiment.