Sunday, October 17, 2010

Balloon Fiesta

Balloons! Billions of balloons!
Okay, so maybe billions is an overstatement, but there were a lot of them. Checking out the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta was really cool. Here are some of our favorites from the two events we attended. To see some other great (meaning: fancy pants camera) pictures of the balloons, click here. And of course you can click on any of the pictures to enlarge.
On Friday afternoon, we attended the Special Shapes Glow-deo. This was a lot of fun for the kids as most of the balloons were in, um, special shapes. :0) As the sun went down we got to see many of them lit up.

Four silly girls ready to see some balloons. You can see they are starting to inflate behind them.







Kangaroo bottoms...

... and fronts. Double the Joeys!



We headed home and got everyone in bed for an early morning wake up call- 5:00 AM to be exact. The Balloon Fiesta was not too far from where our friends live but it took about an hour to get there in the barely-moving traffic. Apparently the morning Mass Ascension is a big deal! The sun was starting to peek up as we arrived, but it was still quite cold and the girls made sure we knew how miserable they were.

Poor shivering Abbey. (And yes that is Jordan's foot in a flip-flop. She was regretting that!)

Huddle for warmth- and a family picture!

But it was worth the cold and lack of sleep- the balloons were beautiful and looked so peaceful drifting up in the sky. I had a moment while Elliott was throwing a fit (never give a 3 year old funnel cake at 7 AM) that I wanted to get in a balloon and float away, but I restrained myself.






Tourist Penguin was one of our favorites.

I was disappointed that the people flying the Darth Vader balloon were not in Star Wars costumes.


Wells Fargo stagecoach, Haunted House, Sponge Bob


Bye bye beautiful balloons- it was fun!

I'm glad we were able to go. Now I can check off "Wake up at 5 AM to see hot air balloon mass ascension" from my life to do list!

3 comments:

Janet said...

This looks like something I would be the only person in my family to enjoy. Boys just don't appreciate pretty balloons. The Darth one was my favorite!

Dayna said...

Thanks for visting my blog! The Balloon Fiesta is soooooo much fun. We haven't been for a few years...last time we went they kept grounding the balloons due to wind. It was a big bummer becuz we were on the chase crew for the Smokey Bear balloon that year. I did watch it on TV and my favorites were the Bee Family (the new baby bee is cu-ute!) and Pepe le Peu. I hadn't seen the Kangaroos. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

deatra said...

Good pictures, Bethany! I now feel I can cross that off my bucket list as well, just having seen your pictures!