Let me start by reminding you that Elliott is (almost) 2-1/2. And she acts very 2-1/2 most of the time. However, she has her moments where she blows me away with her problem-solving skills. Here is a conversation that I had with her a few days ago. We were reading a Highlights magazine and it showed a girl and her mom baking bread dough into bear shapes and eating it with honey.
Elliott: Want eat them.
Me: Well, we don't have any bread dough to make those.
E: Recipe!
Me: That's a good idea, but we don't have the right stuff to make it, even with a recipe.
E: Go store! (Actually one of her favorite words lately is "commissary" which I think is such a weird, military-kid thing to say.)
Me: But look, it's raining.
E: Wear jackets!
Me: Well, we can't go to the store because Daddy took Mommy's car. (which has the car seats in it)
E: Take Daddy's car!
I finally ended the conversation by bursting out laughing. All of her answers were immediate- no pausing to think about it! And then we had to put the magazine away and do something else before she came up with a justification for us walking to the store in the rain to buy bread dough. I am really going to be in trouble when she's older and has a comeback like that for why she should get to go to the mall by herself.
A few days ago I really needed to vacuum. Elliott had just started playing with the lego table in the living room, and I knew she wouldn't want to stop, but she doesn't like the vacuum sound. So I got out her noise-cancelling headphones (what do you mean, your kids don't have their own noise-cancelling headphones?!) and walked into the room. Before I said anything, she figured it out and said, "I wear those, you vacuum!" And so we did.
Halloween may be over but the candy remains. I let Elliott have a piece yesterday but of course later she wanted more. She tried and tried to convince me that "I eat half my candy, not whole my candy." She was using 'half' and 'whole' correctly! Wow! But not wow enough that I let her have more candy. :0)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm not at all surprised that your children would be little geniuses! That is too cute that she had it all figured out.
I'd like my own pair of noise cancelling headphones, please! Especially on nights when I am the only one who hears Luke scream and the girls call to go to the bathroom. Funny how that works! I'll get Mike noise amplifying headphones, and I'll take the noise cancelling ones! Perfect...:0)
Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. . .I always get excited when you comment. I think Ainsley may send Abbey a letter and school pic asking her to be her "pen pal" :)
No, my kid doesn't have their own noise canceling headphones, but I'm cracking up that yours do. Mine has finally stopped crying when I vacuum. I honestly didn't know there was such a thing, or I would've bought them. And I have to agree that the problem solving skills are functioning on HIGH with that little one! Wow. That is greatness.
Post a Comment